Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
I'm thinking all the eggs my one legged pullet is on are duds. Some look like they're on day 1, but she's been sitting longer than that. I'll wait until tomorrow night and candle again, if they look the same, I'll take those and give her the late starters from the other broodies so that I don't have to worry about them being abandoned

Have to cull a pullet showing signs of Mareks today. Shame, she's pretty and I'm not sure who made her. She's small though, like the size of a cochin bantam, which makes no sense since everyone in the pen is at most half bantam, and most don't have any bantam in them.

@U_Stormcrow , you might have liked her patterning a bit. She blended in well in the grass and sunflower patches out here.

Here's an older picture from when she was about 2 months old last fall
20221007_143414.jpg

Culled a silkie pullet yesterday as well. She was small and going down hill, I'm not sure why. Her beak was crooked, but not as bad as the 2 still going strong. So now I have the last two dodgeball faced pullets and 2 or 3 cockerels that just don't make the cut left. They'll be done later though, they're smaller and not trying to get aggressive so I'll be focusing on the male's starting to try and give pecks next weekend.

Also have a pheonix pullet I'm watching. She lost a almost all her toes to frostbite and cannot roost, but she seems like a normal chicken when just observing. My mom didn't even notice she had lost so much when watching yesterday until I picked her up to show her. She gets along well with my blind hen and the Spanish, who both are just kinda mean to everyone, so I may keep those three together in retirement (even though the pullet is only like 6 months old.)

Have to cull a pullet showing signs of Mareks today. Shame, she's pretty and I'm not sure who made her. She's small though, like the size of a cochin bantam, which makes no sense since everyone in the pen is at most half bantam, and most don't have any bantam in them.

@U_Stormcrow , you might have liked her patterning a bit. She blended in well in the grass and sunflower patches out here.

Here's an older picture from when she was about 2 months old last fallView attachment 3452575
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis, and yes, I'd have happily made use of that pattern.

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis, and yes, I'd have happily made use of that pattern.
Yeah, I've only lost a few to it, but it's still a bummer. I had been hoping she was just having an issue with laying since she hasn't started yet, but she definitely is starting to lose mobility and strength in her legs.

Are they a bit of everything you have for good assortment?
Pretty much. Some sexlink eggs, some cornish bantam, silkie and pheonixes are possible. Some araucana are possible, everything else is kinda just mixed since i never got my pens set up this year.

I know for certain there's at least half a dozen sexlinks and that there's ar least a dozen araucana/araucana mixes and some ee bantams.

Back
Top Bottom