Larkwell Valley (2023)

@U_Stormcrow , I'm sure I asked months ago, but I just want to make sure, is this feed okay to feed my chickens exclusively, with oyster shell when laying?
20231227_150018.jpg

@shawluvsbirds has Calls. @WVduckchick has Calls. @casportpony has Calls
The only thing I know about them is they are precious and can be hard to harch without intervention from us becasue of their short bills.
Okay, thanks.

Metzer announced yesterday that they will be selling call ducklings starting this year and that the flock came from a retiring breeder (I can look back and find which one exactly if that changes anything). Unsexed (I assume because of their size), and you can get assortments for 35 dollars a bird or specific colors for 45 dollars a bird. I'm seriously debating getting some, likely the assortment.

After getting absolutely burned with my last birds from smaller hatcheries (thanks, mareks), I'm very hesitant to get live birds from somewhere that isn't a very large breeder or someone I know personally doesnt have risky birds. Eggs, I face enough issues with shipped eggs already, given call needs, I don't want to try and start my flock with shipped eggs. I've looked locally, the only people selling call eggs or birds I seen, I don't trust to have healthy birds and I don't want to get some only to find out now my ducks are infected with something catastrophic too. I can't go through that again.

I know unsexed ducklings are a gamble, and that even from a breeder, that not all of them would be show worthy anyways. These would be more just little buddies for me for the most part.

I guess I'm mainly looking to see if what Metzer is asking is just ridiculous. I'd be adding the 'life insurance' to them for an extra 5 dollars a bird if I got them, that guarantees they'll be okay for a year and if I lose any within a year, they'll be replaced. I like what I got from them last year, my only loss outside of predators was my Jumbo, and I can't really blame them for that other than that I had technically ordered the traditional and not Jumbo Pekin. I doubt any of my ducks from them would win official shows, but they match the standard fairly well, have good temperaments and haven't had any issues I've seen healthwise.

Okay, thanks.

Metzer announced yesterday that they will be selling call ducklings starting this year and that the flock came from a retiring breeder (I can look back and find which one exactly if that changes anything). Unsexed (I assume because of their size), and you can get assortments for 35 dollars a bird or specific colors for 45 dollars a bird. I'm seriously debating getting some, likely the assortment.

After getting absolutely burned with my last birds from smaller hatcheries (thanks, mareks), I'm very hesitant to get live birds from somewhere that isn't a very large breeder or someone I know personally doesnt have risky birds. Eggs, I face enough issues with shipped eggs already, given call needs, I don't want to try and start my flock with shipped eggs. I've looked locally, the only people selling call eggs or birds I seen, I don't trust to have healthy birds and I don't want to get some only to find out now my ducks are infected with something catastrophic too. I can't go through that again.

I know unsexed ducklings are a gamble, and that even from a breeder, that not all of them would be show worthy anyways. These would be more just little buddies for me for the most part.

I guess I'm mainly looking to see if what Metzer is asking is just ridiculous. I'd be adding the 'life insurance' to them for an extra 5 dollars a bird if I got them, that guarantees they'll be okay for a year and if I lose any within a year, they'll be replaced. I like what I got from them last year, my only loss outside of predators was my Jumbo, and I can't really blame them for that other than that I had technically ordered the traditional and not Jumbo Pekin. I doubt any of my ducks from them would win official shows, but they match the standard fairly well, have good temperaments and haven't had any issues I've seen healthwise.
Whatcha wanna know specific to calls? I can try to answer. That price point sounds pretty fair to me. Most folks do not like to try and sex call ducklings because they are so tiny. So yeah.. it's a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom