Larkwell Valley (2023)

Come fall, I'll hopefully be able to take a clearer look, and maybe have some young birds that have multiple traits I want, where as most of my potlucks have only 1 or 2 traits right now.

I had my big heavy eater go this winter, so apart from Moose the Scovy and Big Boy, most of mine eat like birds now

@The Moonshiner and @Canadian Wind , do any of your scovies try and brood their second spring/summer? Or is that still early for them? I'm already excited for ducklings
Yeah, I had a few females go broody, as well as all of them laying. Not all of them did though, and I'm hoping my blue decides to brood this year.

Here's one of your boys, Moony.
20240229_161655.jpg

I think this season, I'm just going to hold on to all of yours. The girls are needed for the ratio, and I like both of the boys too much to pick right now

4.5-5 Bags would be great, but I'd be happy with 6 too right now.
My experience with feed is that the larger the group of chickens, the more they waste. The waste grows exponentially with each new chicken. I know real estate is always at a premium, but smaller groups has saved me a lot on feed.

My experience with feed is that the larger the group of chickens, the more they waste. The waste grows exponentially with each new chicken. I know real estate is always at a premium, but smaller groups has saved me a lot on feed.
Oh yeah. I think it's because A), bigger bowls so they can get in to scratch, and B) the rush to eat before the others get all of it

Sigh.

I might have just jinxed my cochin pullet. Today her leg started tremoring and she can't walk well. If it progresses, I'll have to put her down. If I do, I think this will be the last one I try getting from this pen. All of my cochin chicks and a fair amount of my cochinXphoenix chicks have wound up getting Mareks and going down from it. They just don't seem as strong as the others are in terms of numbers.

Back
Top Bottom