Lash Egg? Also possible Vent Gleet.

Jan 4, 2022
Dallas, Georgia.
My 4.5 year old leghorn hen has had white crusted butt, and clear liquid dripping out of her cloaca constantly. Poop used to be covered in slime but now it looks more normal. I've been treating her for vent gleet, as information about these specific symptoms seems limited. For the past 2 weeks, I've been giving Greek yogurt with probiotics and mashed banana for the prebiotics and antioxidants, it's also the only thing she'll eat, besides mushy crumble. Been giving epsom salt baths every other day and just letting her soak up the sunshine whenever she can. Just 2 days ago, I've started feeding her monistat with the yogurt and she seems more perky. But now, she has released two yellow, squishy things?? I'm assuming it's a lash egg. I don't really know what to do for my girl at this point 😔 i can't give her antibiotics while I'm trying to build up her probiotics. All I can give her is home remedies as vets in a 70 mile radius refuse to see chickens.

Attachments

• 20221026_095410.jpg
    20221026_095410.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20221024-115115_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024-115115_Gallery.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 14
I've been treating her for vent gleet, as information about these specific symptoms seems limited. For the past 2 weeks, I've been giving Greek yogurt with probiotics and mashed banana for the prebiotics and antioxidants, it's also the only thing she'll eat, besides mushy crumble. Been giving epsom salt baths every other day and just letting her soak up the sunshine whenever she can. Just 2 days ago, I've started feeding her monistat with the yogurt and she seems more perky. But now, she has released two yellow, squishy things?? I'm assuming it's a lash egg.
Looks like she's got a distended abdomen.
Likely she has more of that material to pass. I'd give her Calcium Citrate with D3 for a few days to see if that will help her expel any more lash material.

I agree, I'd try an antibiotic which may help extend life if caught early enough. There's no cure, but meds can help with symptoms and make a hen more comfortable for a period of time.

I'd continue with the Monistat while you source your antibiotic treatment.

Looks like she's got a distended abdomen.
Likely she has more of that material to pass. I'd give her Calcium Citrate with D3 for a few days to see if that will help her expel any more lash material.

I agree, I'd try an antibiotic which may help extend life if caught early enough. There's no cure, but meds can help with symptoms and make a hen more comfortable for a period of time.

I'd continue with the Monistat while you source your antibiotic treatment.
I don't suspect water belly, I've had other hens who've passed from water belly and it grew really large, very quick. The feather loss is from constant picking and no molting. I will add calcium citrate and D3.

Gleet needs to be treated with yeast infection meds (found in the feminine hygiene aisle). But lash material means reproductive infection. You can order Baytril without a prescription here:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

The infection way trumps the gleet. The infection is life-threatening.
Okay, thank you for the link for the antibiotics. The Monistat I'm feeding her is the Vaginal yeast infection medication you're speaking of, so I'll continue with that after I've treated her with antibiotics 😁

A little update, I ordered amoxicillin but started giving her Cirpo XR in the meantime. She stopped producing lash eggs, her appetite came back, and she's so perky now! Going to continue with amoxicillin from here on out since the antibiotics are helping

Ciprofloxacin is a much better antibiotic than amoxicillin. It is similar to Baytril. So once you give a course of that, I would just give some Probios powder in her food for a week or so for probiotics. Glad to hear that she is doing better. I would not use her eggs for 3-4 weeks.
I only had a tiny bit of cipro, so I had to switch to amoxicillin, but she was doing very good on it! I have antifungal that was going to start her on after this round of antibiotics, alonf with the probiotics. 0 lash eggs since starting. I think she's completely done laying since she's nearly 5 years old which is the age limit of leghorn hens, but I am still waiting for her to molt 🥲

Back
Top Bottom