Lash egg/infection

Bfischer515

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
I thought earlier she may be egg bound or have vent gleet, but further inspection looks like lash egg forming. It is out in the photo but after she finished pushing, it goes back in
Advice? I was told oxytetracycline should help. Does that sound right?

Attachments

• 64434746-6020-49D0-9A7A-58D42D8E9E3F.jpeg
    64434746-6020-49D0-9A7A-58D42D8E9E3F.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 12
Look at this diagram.
BB686644-1C07-4857-915C-A2041F6233BA.jpeg
You'll see the oviduct intersects with the cloaca just above the it. If that is lash material, it's coming off the oviduct and your hen needs strong contractions to expel it. Notice the swelling and protrusion of the vent tissue. This is evidence she is straining to get the obstruction out. You can help her by giving her a calcium tablet like this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
One directly into her beak. She will swallow.

It would be best to install the hen in a crate for her safety so other chickens don't injure her vent tissue in this swollen state.

Once this crisis is over and the vent has gone back to normal, then you can start the antibiotic.

Look at this diagram. View attachment 3265682You'll see the oviduct intersects with the cloaca just above the it. If that is lash material, it's coming off the oviduct and your hen needs strong contractions to expel it. Notice the swelling and protrusion of the vent tissue. This is evidence she is straining to get the obstruction out. You can help her by giving her a calcium tablet like this. View attachment 3265684One directly into her beak. She will swallow.

It would be best to install the hen in a crate for her safety so other chickens don't injure her vent tissue in this swollen state.

Once this crisis is over and the vent has gone back to normal, then you can start the antibiotic.
Thank you! I was actually able to remove it this evening. It was a small lash/softer shell broken egg. I’m not sure if the infection was there causing the lash egg or the egg broke causing the infection. I have the calcium (carbonate though not citrate) to give her in the morning as she was already roosting and asleep when I got it. She has been inside away from the others for several days now and I’ll keep her in a little longer. I did start the Oxytetracycline this evening after her epsom soak and before I removed the egg.

Back
Top Bottom