Lash egg? Ovary?

Maddycarriker

Hatching
Aug 9, 2022
Can someone please help identify what might be going on with my chicken? What should I do? Should I be worried about my other hens? Thank you!

Attachments

• 7A6217B5-94EC-4C32-A1E4-CD5B9D984ABD.jpeg
    7A6217B5-94EC-4C32-A1E4-CD5B9D984ABD.jpeg
    826.3 KB · Views: 13
Without being able to cut it open it’s hard to know for sure, but I do think it looks like lash material, which means Salpingitis. I know others typically treat with antibiotics. I’m not sure if Salpingitis is an infection that can be held at bay such as a respiratory infection, or if she will eventually succumb to it. I would assume your other birds have the disease, though I don’t have any personal experience, so can’t say whether they will carry it for life or not.

If you keep chickens long enough, you will see all manner of vile things come out of their butts. Most, while gross, are not worrisome. That yolk is what you get when a major blood vessel breaks along the oviduct. Just be thankful you didn't discover it in your breakfast frying pan. It will likely never ever happen again.

I've been keeping chickens for fifteen-sixteen years, and I've only had one such egg in all these years.

Back
Top Bottom