Last living chick doing great, new chicks coming today. Quarantine?

Molly77

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Hello! So I posted here last week about 8 of 9 dead chicks from McMurray Hatchery, I've managed to save the last chick and she is now 1 week and 1 day old. She is thriving and very much a pet now, as I have spent a huge amount of time with her and she likes to sleep on my shoulder in my hair and hates me to leave her alone.

I have 12 chicks coming today to Agway (6 more buff orps and 6 easter eggers), they are supposed to call me when they arrive so I assume they will just have been shipped, too. I'm terrified because trying unsuccessfully to save the first batch was pretty devastating!

My McMurray chick (now named Admiral Byrd for her survival against all odds) was vaccinated at the hatchery for everything I could get her vaxed for.

What are the chances that the new chicks will be sick and spread it to her? I don't know what to expect now with shipped and farm store chicks--are they always in a bad way when they arrive? Is it frequent that they are carrying deadly diseases?

Should I put the new chicks in the brooder with her or keep them separate for a few days to protect her?

I would keep them separate a few days to protect the new chicks. There is little to no chance that they will be ill, but they will be smaller and less mobile than your present chick. Give them time to adjust.
OK, will do. Thank you for this info!

What are the chances that the new chicks will be sick and spread it to her? I don't know what to expect now with shipped and farm store chicks--are they always in a bad way when they arrive? Is it frequent that they are carrying deadly diseases?
New chicks from a reputable hatchery are the most unlikely vectors of disease, which is why many of us opt to get chicks that way.

I don't know what the previous chicks died from but shipping stress is often a factor, so it's advisable to add either electrolytes or something like Poultry Nutri-Drench to the water the first couple of days to help them through it.

OK, will do. Thank you for this info!
New chicks from a reputable hatchery are the most unlikely vectors of disease, which is why many of us opt to get chicks that way.

I don't know what the previous chicks died from but shipping stress is often a factor, so it's advisable to add either electrolytes or something like Poultry Nutri-Drench to the water the first couple of days to help them through it.
Well, I didn't follow your advice because when I got the Agway chicks, they are larger, heavier, more coordinated than my sick chick who is a week older. In fact, they are a whole different ballgame, know how to eat and drink and are very robust. The chick survivor isn't doing that well, still having pasty butt, seems not to be thriving. She was doing better alone with me. I don't know what to do now, the other chicks want to pick on her, I guess because they can tell she's unwell. I don't think I can cull this chick. What would you do in my place?

I don't know what to do now, the other chicks want to pick on her, I guess because they can tell she's unwell. I don't think I can cull this chick. What would you do in my place?

How is the brooder set up? Can you fence off a portion of it so the struggling chick can see the others, but not get trampled or pushed around by the others? Or (depending on your heat source) can you set up a 2nd smaller brooder next to the first one, so they can see each other but no risk of them pushing her around?

As long as it's eating and drinking on its own I'd want to give it a chance.

I don't know what to do now, the other chicks want to pick on her, I guess because they can tell she's unwell. I don't think I can cull this chick. What would you do in my place?

How is the brooder set up? Can you fence off a portion of it so the struggling chick can see the others, but not get trampled or pushed around by the others? Or (depending on your heat source) can you set up a 2nd smaller brooder next to the first one, so they can see each other but no risk of them pushing her around?

As long as it's eating and drinking on its own I'd want to give it a chance.
I set up a second brooder and moved some chicks so I could limit the number of chicks with her and lessen the stress. She's still hanging in there, improving I think. She's gotten better enough that she's now in the larger brooder with everyone for the day today. She goes back to her old brooder for the night with just a friend or 2. She's running around like the other chicks and nobody is picking on her. She poops like a champ all day but has a plugged butt every morning. I got 6 Easter Eggers from the Agway with these 6 new Buff Orpingtons, but I ended up giving them away. They were so much bigger and heavier than the Buff Orpingtons and really violent to other chicks. The Orpingtons seem pretty gentle even when they're pushing each other around. I know chickens are dinosaurs and I have to let them sort it out for the most part, but the bullying energy was intense with those EE girls.

Back
Top Bottom