Late night snakes trying for the quail!

bfrancis

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
It's been raining quite abit here this evening...luckily we put up all the birds up early because we knew it was coming....

Later this evening after dark, and a slow spot during the rain we went around checking on all the critters and these were on the ramp going into the quail house. (the way the door is made, no chance of them getting in)
ep.gif
somad.gif

52686_imgp6404.jpg

After dark the 'ol 20ga is standard equipment...thank goodness! In short order, 2 head shots later, no more copperheads
celebrate.gif

Anyway, everyone have a great night.

The smaller one is not a copperhead, nor anything dangerous.

Its a shame such snakes end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, they really are quite beautiful.

You yourself state they cant get in, then why kill them? At least the harmless one. Lots of rodents sure are happy though.

Last edited:
Some back ground info for those who are looking at me as "the senseless snake killer" I live on 6+ plus wooded acres with a very nice creek that runs year round across the property.
I do know the benefit to non-poisonous snakes; that being said, I do not go out into the woods looking for kills. I do not kill any that I see basking in the sun near the creek or rocks. I do understand and respect nature, if not I would have never moved to the country.
But, if one (or two) are in the run they get the death penalty.

When people take on the responsibility of keeping animals, they have taken on the responsibility of not only making sure they have a dry clean home, fresh water and healthy feed. But as with any pets or animals that have been penned, you have taken on the implied responsibility of their safety and the safety of their chicks and eggs. Can black snake eat a full grown bird? Probably not. Can a black snake stress a bird? absolutely!

I don't only consider the chicks and eggs, but if one poisonous or not, is coiled under a coop ramp and 2 y.o. DS tries to pet it...it will bite. Poisonous, no. Still have teeth? yes.

That then brings out the argument, be a better parent....don't even go there.

Last night it was dark, it was raining. My light caught the colorful copperhead on the ramp nosing the door, and a secondary snake on the ramp with it.

Side note, I'm also a soldier and have been to Iraq twice, I took out the primary target and took the second target of opportunity. Clean kills both, no needless pain and suffering.

This post was met as warning to folks who have chickens and what they might find at night...or day for that matter... as an educational purpose. It was not posted to get into some debate on the ethics of killing snakes. That debate would be better served In some other forum. Personally, the debate on killing whales, for research or not, would be better served; but not on a chicken forum labeled for predators and pest, which ANY snake in my coop or run constitutes both.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe Twisted Serpent would know, he seems to be the resident snake expert
bow.gif
. That is a good question though. I know some of the bigger non-poisonous species around here actually eat the poisonous ones....maybe the smaller snake was looking for a big snack...
lau.gif

I understand exactly why you did what you did. Venomous snakes get no second chance, especially around the homestead. The other one, well, I might have let it be, but that is just a personal decision.

Man those copperheads get big and fat, dont they? Ive not seen any here, and I hope I dont.

Im not a big snake person eiter but it does seem strange to have those types together. well wouldnt the black/rat/king snake whatever it is eat the cooper head if it was bigger?

Back
Top Bottom