Laying hen/roo

Tclow1518

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2021
Hey all,
I have laying hens and I might get a rooster. My question is: if the roo has his way with the hens and the eggs get fertilized can they still be eaten ? The eggs are collected daily
Thanks

if the roo has his way with the hens and the eggs get fertilized can they still be eaten ?
Not if, when. They will be fertilized.

What is your specific concern if you have one? Physically there is no difference in taste, texture, or nutrition. People have been eating fertilized eggs since people have been eating eggs. It won't hurt you. If you collect daily and don't keep them at warm temperatures nothing will develop in there.

Some people have religious, moral, or ethical concerns or questions about this. We can discuss those, I hope respectfully, if that is your concern. I just need to know what your actual concern is.

Not if, when. They will be fertilized.

What is your specific concern if you have one? Physically there is no difference in taste, texture, or nutrition. People have been eating fertilized eggs since people have been eating eggs. It won't hurt you. If you collect daily and don't keep them at warm temperatures nothing will develop in there.

Some people have religious, moral, or ethical concerns or questions about this. We can discuss those, I hope respectfully, if that is your concern. I just need to know what your actual concern is.
I was concerned about a relative cracking open an egg and getting a unwanted surprise.

Hey all,
I have laying hens and I might get a rooster. My question is: if the roo has his way with the hens and the eggs get fertilized can they still be eaten ? The eggs are collected daily
Thanks

YES.

My flock is in my sig, below. We eat eggs most days. The Roosters (I need to cull more) have access tot he hens all the time. Only a tiny fraction of the eggs I eat aren't fertilized.

That said, give some thought to why you want a rooster - they aren't needed for most back yard flocks - and check your zoning, to ensure you are allowed to have a rooster.

And I collect three times a day, sometimes more. FDA allows a MUCH lower rate of collection. Every other day is fine. Not for ducks, and other ground laying birds, depending on your ground. (My clays are VERY good at defeating the bloom and causing contamination of my duck's eggs, leading to failed incubations - on of the reasons I collect so frequently.)

Back
Top Bottom