Laying Hiatus following disruption

Friendthechicken

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
PNW
Hi everyone!
Long time reader, first time poster here. Thank you to all at BYC for the forum and insights. We have three laying hens who are entering their first spring as real layers…supposedly! I got them as fall pullets/young hens and don’t know the breed. In March, between the three of them we had about 18-20 eggs with one dominant layer (I think). We are in the PNW so the light was just returning. I had no artificial light in the coop. And then! I disrupted their flow. Three weeks ago, we kicked them out into a brand new homemade coop and then four days later, I moved our dog-crate indoor brooder and seven 5-week old chicks into the coop. They haven’t laid since. I’m looking for suggestions to get the older ladies back on track! Is three weeks a normal pause? Our daylight hours are getting long!

I have been able to maintain consistency more or less in the older gals food while integrating the young chicks. Their nest boxes are new and different, but they are similar in size. They are about 18” off the ground as is the first roost bar that everyone (older gals) seems to be able to get on comfortably. I have attached a pic of the nest boxes. The first few nights I had the chick brooder sort of directly under the nesting boxes, but I have since moved it thinking maybe that’s what was deterring the older gals. The water thing is not normally where it is in the photo aka not in the way. As you can see they are clean and nice and NOT nested in. 🤪 Any suggestions to get my older gals back to nesting and laying? Should I build them a ramp? Add a curtain?

PS: Integration is going great btw because I know you’re curious!

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 4E9E5F50-788D-4F80-AFAD-D80893195A83.jpeg
    4E9E5F50-788D-4F80-AFAD-D80893195A83.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 82587726-22F2-4BE7-A48E-AA58EFC1FCCA.jpeg
    82587726-22F2-4BE7-A48E-AA58EFC1FCCA.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 3
Stress will cause them to stop laying. They generally will resume after they feel more comfortable. Usually anywhere from 1 week to 6 depending on the circumstances. Not much you can do by try to keep everything as calm and the same as possible.

To the chicken she's laying to hatch one day even if the desire to hatch was bred out of them.

Okay we got an egg today!! Right in the new nest boxes by noon or so. Thanks all for letting me show my impatience in a safe space :).
Congratulations. Do you have fake eggs in your nest boxes? That may help encourage them if you don't already have them.

Thanks. I haven’t done that yet because I was too stubborn to buy the fake ceramic eggs. I did put some light colored, smooth stones in there, in the box that now seems to be in use. 🤞🏻
I had to take my ceramic eggs out because I wish mine would stop laying. I get too many eggs. Probably means i have too many chickens.

Fake eggs makes the hens think that another hen thought it was safe to lay here, so I will too.

Thanks. I haven’t done that yet because I was too stubborn to buy the fake ceramic eggs. I did put some light colored, smooth stones in there, in the box that now seems to be in use. 🤞🏻
The stones should be fine. Anything egg like will work. Many of us use golf balls as they're cheap and the dimples make them easy to ID as "not eggs" if you reach under a hen.

OP I'm in the same situation of sorts. All I can figure is too much change so the girls are just being defiant. lol
3wks ago we got 15 eggs in one day. We sold 5 of our hens.

Since then egg production has dropped to 4; maybe a day. We usually get 4 yesterday we got 6 or 7; thought things were doing better. Today we might only have 3!!
We should be getting around 10 eggs a day. (More since I've found out that's not molt but probably roo damage on the feathers.) Only have 1 who's being allowed to brood.
But we broke 2 others from brooding; I've yet to see one of them if not both lay since then! O.O

I'm at a loss other than selling the 5 hens stressed them on top of moving flocks around at night to the coop. (Having to add the geese & ducklings to the coop.)
And now their run is split some so the 9weekers can have space. lol So I guess it's just stress...all up in arms over things. lol Even though they're being fed well & taking care of. Smh.

Back
Top Bottom