laying pullets on layer feed + chick starter?

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
hi there, my seven pullets are now 24 weeks old, and four have begun laying in the last two weeks. all 20ish eggs we’ve gotten have had perfectly hard shells.

the ladies started on layer feed (17%) as of 18 weeks-ish, when I started mixing it half and half with the chick starter (21%) they were already on then. more recently, I have been filling their dry feeder with all layer, and in the mornings giving them a mash of mostly the leftover chick starter, with a handful of the layer (cracked/ground grains) thrown in.

I’m about to run out of the bag of starter. so my question is, is this a practice I should continue, to keep giving them a dose of higher protein feed each day?

I see a ton of people on here feed an all-flock for the higher protein, and supplement calcium on the side. but I’m wondering does anybody do it the opposite way, feeding a layer for the calcium, and supplementing more protein?

the girls get several hours of forage time daily. a few times a week they’ll get garden and kitchen vegetable scraps. I have no roosters and no plans for new chicks anytime soon, so we’re only working with new 24 week layers. worth mentioning, the brand I feed doesn’t make an all flock, and my local feed store carries the starter and the layer (but not a grower).

so I’m curious about using starter to supplement protein to layers.

thanks!

Get the layer feed and feed it.
Especially since you have no males.

I'd recommend not feeding kitchen scraps and cracked grains often...on a week and only a tiny amount (spoonful per bird) would be ok but not daily.

They take away from the birds getting a balanced diet.
The layer feed is the balanced diet by itself.

but I’m wondering does anybody do it the opposite way, feeding a layer for the calcium, and supplementing more protein?
I do this. It isn't ideal. I haven't been able to find a decent all flock type feed locally yet. I add canned markerel three or four times a week. They also get meat every now and then.

Get the layer feed and feed it.
Especially since you have no males.

I'd recommend not feeding kitchen scraps and cracked grains often...on a week and only a tiny amount (spoonful per bird) would be ok but not daily.

They take away from the birds getting a balanced diet.
The layer feed is the balanced diet by itself.
thanks. the cracked grains mentioned is the layer feed.

It sounds way too complicated for what it is. Decide what protein you want to feed, find a feed with that, and offer oyster shell on the side, regardless of whether it's a layer or not.
Personally, I think trying to feed different feeds is much more work, and there's no guarantee that every girl's getting what she needs.
got it, that’s sensible! thanks.

I think it's fine doing it that way if you don't mind micro managing the feeding and have no issue using up the feed you buy in a reasonable amount of time. I feed both fermented grower and layer pellets, and vary the amount of each based on the season (i.e. in winter when most of the birds aren't laying, they get a higher ratio of grower vs than in summer).

I think it's fine doing it that way if you don't mind micro managing the feeding and have no issue using up the feed you buy in a reasonable amount of time. I feed both fermented grower and layer pellets, and vary the amount of each based on the season (i.e. in winter when most of the birds aren't laying, they get a higher ratio of grower vs than in summer).
another reasonable perspective! thank you. do you feed oyster shell on the side or they’re getting enough calcium out of their layer portion?

another reasonable perspective! thank you. do you feed oyster shell on the side or they’re getting enough calcium out of their layer portion?
Yes I offer oyster shell (and crushed eggshell when I have enough) on the side, as they don't get enough layer to provide the calcium needed for strong eggshells.

Back
Top Bottom