Leaving home for 36 hours. What should I do with my chicks?

I would give them fresh water right before you leave, check them as soon as you get home, and hope for the best.

Unless their brooder is way too hot, they should not actually die in the time you are gone, even if they dump their water in the first hour. If they do not dump their water, they will drink poopy water rather than go thirsty, and it will not do them any real harm (gross but not a big health issue for that length of time. Leaving it poopy for several days would be likely to cause an outbreak of coccidiosis.)

It would be nice if you can get someone to give them clean water Saturday morning, but I know this is rather short notice for that.

I would not make any major changes this close to your trip. For example, putting the water up on a brick might keep them from pooping in it as much-- but it might also let the chicks tip the whole thing over. Not what you want to happen while you are gone, so don't make that change unless you have several days to watch the results. For future, if you have a trip but more time to plan ahead, maybe put the water up on bricks or pavers, and make the brooder about 4 times as big (so they do more pooping in other places and less in the water.)
Alright, thanks!

Photos of your brooder and waterer might help us come up with ideas to reduce them pooping in the water but basically I agree with NatJ. No need to repeat all that.
I can go take some pictures in a minute, but I just sat down after running around a bunch and I dont feel like getting up lol. I will get some pictures in a little bit though

Photos of your brooder and waterer might help us come up with ideas to reduce them pooping in the water but basically I agree with NatJ. No need to repeat all that.
20240509_183310.jpg

Heres a photo of the brooder

I would give them fresh water right before you leave, check them as soon as you get home, and hope for the best.

Unless their brooder is way too hot, they should not actually die in the time you are gone, even if they dump their water in the first hour. If they do not dump their water, they will drink poopy water rather than go thirsty, and it will not do them any real harm (gross but not a big health issue for that length of time. Leaving it poopy for several days would be likely to cause an outbreak of coccidiosis.)

It would be nice if you can get someone to give them clean water Saturday morning, but I know this is rather short notice for that.

I would not make any major changes this close to your trip. For example, putting the water up on a brick might keep them from pooping in it as much-- but it might also let the chicks tip the whole thing over. Not what you want to happen while you are gone, so don't make that change unless you have several days to watch the results. For future, if you have a trip but more time to plan ahead, maybe put the water up on bricks or pavers, and make the brooder about 4 times as big (so they do more pooping in other places and less in the water.)
20240509_183310.jpg

Heres a picture of the brooder

Is that bin their brooder? Or is that space ousting of it available too?

If that bin is their brooder than they need something at least triple that. If you could you run out to Walmart or something and grab the biggest bin they have, then that will be a good size and reduce the chances of them popping in or spilling the water

Is that bin their brooder? Or is that space ousting of it available too?

If that bin is their brooder than they need something at least triple that. If you could you run out to Walmart or something and grab the biggest bin they have, then that will be a good size and reduce the chances of them popping in or spilling the water
Could they survive me being away for 36 hours in it with full food and water and a fresh box though? I dont know if I could make a walmart run soon

It really depends. For example, my 5 week old chicks (6 of them) have been going through a quart of food a day since they were 2 1/2 weeks old. The only reason they aren’t going through more is because they get around 5-6 hours outside a day meaning that they are only eating from their inside feeder from around 8:30 pm to 3 pm but sometimes even longer outside.
But if yours only eat 1/4 or so of the food a day, as you want to have a small backup supply for emergencies or them eating extra, then you should be fine.

The same thing applies for the water as it does for the food. Mine like to splash in it sometimes and will usually drink at least half in a day. But if yours don’t, then you should be fine

It really depends. For example, my 5 week old chicks (6 of them) have been going through a quart of food a day since they were 2 1/2 weeks old. The only reason they aren’t going through more is because they get around 5-6 hours outside a day meaning that they are only eating from their inside feeder from around 8:30 pm to 3 pm but sometimes even longer outside.
But if yours only eat 1/4 or so of the food a day, as you want to have a small backup supply for emergencies or them eating extra, then you should be fine.

The same thing applies for the water as it does for the food. Mine like to splash in it sometimes and will usually drink at least half in a day. But if yours don’t, then you should be fine
Alright. I am planning on moving them to a small outside coop we have for our chicks soon after returning so the small brooder shouldn't be too much of a problem. And I only have 4 4-week-old chicks, so I think I should be fine. I will fill up their food and water as much as possible and give them a fresh box before I leave.

Back
Top Bottom