Mar 29, 2021
Longmont Colorado
Hey all, I have a white leghorn rooster now and am excited to try hatching out eggs. I’m curious on what crosses would be best. My first thought was to try rhode island reds. This makes golden comet or something alike? Would the chicks be sexlinked? Also, I’ve read that black australorp crossed with leghorn hens makes a great efficient egg layer and that the reciprocal not so much? Also curious about crossing him with my Easter Eggers, and black and blue copper marans. Any thoughts? Also, anyone have a recommendation on the best cheap incubator? Thanks!

A cross between any would be fine, except the marans, I wouldn't bother.
there's really no such thing as a cheap good incubator, avoid all yellow plastic incubators on amazon.

A cross between any would be fine, except the marans, I wouldn't bother.
there's really no such thing as a cheap good incubator, avoid all yellow plastic incubators on amazon.
I think the cheapest one you could get is a little giant….. they’re pretty good.
Hey all, I have a white leghorn rooster now and am excited to try hatching out eggs. I’m curious on what crosses would be best. My first thought was to try rhode island reds. This makes golden comet or something alike? Would the chicks be sexlinked? Also, I’ve read that black australorp crossed with leghorn hens makes a great efficient egg layer and that the reciprocal not so much? Also curious about crossing him with my Easter Eggers, and black and blue copper marans. Any thoughts? Also, anyone have a recommendation on the best cheap incubator? Thanks!
Your crosses will be adorable! Once they hatch don’t forget pics!

I think the cheapest one you could get is a little giant….. they’re pretty good.
Disagree. IMO little giants are junk. Hovabators are about the same price and I've had so much better performance with them.
If you're doing smaller hatches NR 360 is probably your best option.

Disagree. IMO little giants are junk. Hovabators are about the same price and I've had so much better performance with them.
If you're doing smaller hatches NR 360 is probably your best option.
I’ll have to try the hovabators... my little giant was good, good hatch rates.

His opinion is better too, I haven’t been chickening as long.

Back
Top Bottom