Leghorn or California white? Or maybe something else?

Not every California White gets black spots, especially at a young age. The black spots or kind of a leakage I'm not saying that the TSC/Hoovers hatchery system gets it correct every time, but I don't see any reason to believe this is anything other than Hoovers version of CW.
I'm just going by what I have read, and posts I've seen here on BYC saying that all CW including chicks have atleast 1 black spot on them, and that it's rare for them to not have spots and if several don't have spots they were most likely mislabeled, that is literally the only reason I thought that maybe she isn't a CW that and ofcourse seeing so many threads and comments about people being given wrong breeds at TSC. Which I know happens because the same day I got this chick I also got a silver laced wyandotte, that the TSC employee tried telling me was a barred rock, they were sold out of barred rocks but were selling SLW as BR.

But I do believe there is a chance that she is a CW, I just have had my doubts and have wondered if she was mislabeled just like the SLW were.

What did she end up being, as I got one that looks exactly alike... I hope it stayed yellow... it's my daughter's and that's what she wanted was a solid yellow.

1715702732043.png
1715702695351.png

What did she end up being, as I got one that looks exactly alike... I hope it stayed yellow... it's my daughter's and that's what she wanted was a solid yellow.
In your photos, I think I see white feathers in the wings.

A yellow chick that grows white wing feathers will usually grow up to be a solid white chicken.

In your photos, I think I see white feathers in the wings.

A yellow chick that grows white wing feathers will usually grow up to be a solid white chicken.
They are now a very pale creamy yellow... I think it might be a "California White" from Tractor supply... they are now about 3-4 weeks old... I also cannot tell if it is a hen or a rooster, was supposed to be a hen/pullet.
I can take more updated pictures today. She is very calm and my daughter named her Tweety.

No chicken stays yellow. That is simple impossible. Yellow chicks grow up to be white. If you want chickens that are close to yellow in their feather color, then you should go for any breed with a buff variety, such as the Orpington. There is a Buff Orpington and they are very popular.
my friend who got her chicks from TSC (we wanted buff orpingtons but they weren't available.) thinks that it is an amberlink as we got ours 1 day apart from the same store.

They are now a very pale creamy yellow... I think it might be a "California White" from Tractor supply... they are now about 3-4 weeks old... I also cannot tell if it is a hen or a rooster, was supposed to be a hen/pullet.
I can take more updated pictures today. She is very calm and my daughter named her Tweety.
Whatever color the feathers are now, there is a good chance that color will be present on the mature chicken.

No chicken stays yellow. That is simple impossible.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "yellow," but I would say some chickens are just as much "yellow" as other chickens are "red" or "blue."

Yellow chicks grow up to be white.
Again, it depends on what you mean by "yellow" in chicks.

To my eyes, Buff Orpington chicks look yellow, and Wheaten Old English Game Bantam chicks look yellow, and neither of them grow up to be white.

If you want chickens that are close to yellow in their feather color, then you should go for any breed with a buff variety, such as the Orpington. There is a Buff Orpington and they are very popular.
I agree that Buff chickens look rather yellow at all ages.

Whatever color the feathers are now, there is a good chance that color will be present on the mature chicken.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "yellow," but I would say some chickens are just as much "yellow" as other chickens are "red" or "blue."

Again, it depends on what you mean by "yellow" in chicks.

To my eyes, Buff Orpington chicks look yellow, and Wheaten Old English Game Bantam chicks look yellow, and neither of them grow up to be white.

I agree that Buff chickens look rather yellow at all ages.
Color is rather subjective because it depends on the person, so I can see where you are coming from. Personally I do not see buff chicks as yellow when they are young, probably because I tend to look at things too deeply. I think something like Buff Orpington chicks, which are yellow-ish with orange tones and darker colors, would not be really considered to having "yellow" down, but something with lighter yellow down with no dark markings would be considered "yellow" like Cornish Cross.

Back
Top Bottom