Leghorn Thread!!!

Ok, I have my very first Leghorns. Two out of 3 hatched today. One is MEAN! He is attacking the older chick that I have. The other one is calmer and has a buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_170501.jpg
    IMG_20191010_170501.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 7
Leghorns are my favorite birds as far as egg laying and scratching up carbon compostables go. I hear Game Chickens are even better at scratching things up but I don't like to dabble in those . Leghorns eat little, forage great, and will turn a pile of leaves into dust in about a week. The down side is that there isn't much meat on them and I end up with too many Roosters.

These are my 3 week old Leghorns. I think the first one is a cockerel, he has yellow legs, don't know if this is normal. The second one I think is a pullet, she had black legs when she was small, now they are white.

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_160207.jpg
    IMG_20191102_160207.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20191102_160010.jpg
    IMG_20191102_160010.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 7
58994A70-3518-47A7-8DC1-1A2D27F51CAD.jpeg
Don’t know much about them but I have one. At first I thought she was a boring “plain white” chicken but now I thing she’s just beautiful, and even when the others get stressed out or go on strike, she lays an egg pretty much every single day.

I need an updated picture. This one is from a few months ago. When she started laying her comb blew up, practically over night.

Leghorns are my favorite birds as far as egg laying and scratching up carbon compostables go. I hear Game Chickens are even better at scratching things up but I don't like to dabble in those . Leghorns eat little, forage great, and will turn a pile of leaves into dust in about a week. The down side is that there isn't much meat on them and I end up with too many Roosters.

Were your birds from Murray McMurray? I noticed they have the varieties you mentioned getting. I've been thinking about the Silver Leghorns from there. I had arranged to get a small flock but it looks like that's falling through. A little disappointing. They look shockingly nice for hatchery birds. Is this possibly one of those scenarios where they get their rare breeds from an area breeder?

I got 10 silvers from Murray McMurray recently. About half died in the first week. I had 2 other breeds in the order. 34 chicks total. I am down to only 16. That is the biggest lose from hatchery chicks I've ever had. I can only attribute it to maybe them being rarer breeds that probably have a narrow gene pool. Not counting the Leghorns. I really just don't know. Now that they are nearing the 6wk mark, they are tough little guys, and pretty friendly too. Curious to see how they mature out. As for Columbians, I only know of one person that has them. I think is John Hyreck in PA. He is not selling any at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom