Lemon-Drop's Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Should I get an egg candler?

• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The NR360 one works fine

• Yes, my favorite is _______ (post below)

• Total voters

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
:frowHello! Welcome to my Easter hatch-a-long! I'm a new hatcher-but already addicted! I'll be setting eggs this Saturday at noon. I'm so excited!

I'll plant to post lots of photos, updates, and more photos! Feel free to chat away, too! I'd love to see everyone's hatching plans, or even totally random things! :jumpy

I'm planning to set 12-18 eggs (not entirely sure on the number yet) in my Nurture Right 360 Incubator. I'll be hatching a mixture of silkies and silkie mixes (from my backyard flock)

I might (probably will) have questions along the way, as well!

First question: Where should I store my eggs out of the following: Basement (66-68 degrees) Refrigerator (36 degrees) room temperature (68-75) or somehing else. Where do you guys store eggs?

Also, let me know if you'd like any chicks! (Pick-up/in-person delivery only)

ONE last thing - what is the cure for a hatching addiction?

ONE last thing - what is the cure for a hatching addiction?
:lau No cure, that I'm aware of. Even if there was a cure, I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to try it. :lol:

First question: Where should I store my eggs out of the following: Basement (66-68 degrees) Refrigerator (36 degrees) room temperature (68-75) or somehing else. Where do you guys store eggs?
You should store the eggs at around 60 degrees, plus or minus 5 degrees. The best option in your case would be in the basement.

I store my eggs in the cellar, which is around 58-60 degrees F.

Make sure they are unwashed, pick clean eggs, and don't try to juggle more than a few at a time (learn from my mistakes! :oops:).

:pop
Good luck.

:barnieI think the silkies hate me. They’re the eggs that I really want to hatch-but they’re the dirtiest! (I think it’s because they are more muddy right now-but still!)

:barnieI think the silkies hate me. They’re the eggs that I really want to hatch-but they’re the dirtiest! (I think it’s because they are more muddy right now-but still!)
I've hatched muddy eggs before, but of course it's not the best option. Look for clean eggs, a few spots of mud wouldn't be too bad.

Here are a picture of the eggs I can possibly hatch. (Ones gathered from my hens and stored in a cool location with fat end up) these are the cleanest ones, though I’m only hatching 12-18 eggs

The ones that are circled are the ones I want to use most, but I think most of them are too dirty. They’re the silkie eggs
66839B47-174B-4112-B016-0C49F5D55BC4.jpeg

Awe, hang it all! I want to get a 360 and hatch some eggs too. Sooo curious what a BO over a Jubilee Orp would look like! We don't need any more birds right now, though, so maybe next spring!

I'm following, to see how it goes. Good luck!

We can be hatch buddies! I have one set of chicks hatching right now. It is day 19 for those. But I ordered some eggs off ebay to go under my broody hen. I will set those tommorrow!

Eggs are set! Now the wait begins! I was going to do 12-then decided that 15 was a nice number. But then there was one empty slot in the outer ring that needed filling... so 16 it was!

I'm planning to candle on 4,7,10, and maybe day 14. Does that sound good?
1648323985515.png

*me* Ok, only 10 eggs. I can't keep any.
*voice* Oh-but don't you want to make it a nice dozen?
*me* Hm, ok.
*voice* But wait! 15 is a nice, solid number!
*me* I don't think I have that many
*voice* At least check!
*me* Oh-I do!
*me* *puts 15 eggs in the incubator*
*voice* Oh no! There's an emptry slot in the outer ring! That'll drive you crazy.
*me* Just one more...
*me* *stares at many more eggs than planned*
*voice* Think of all the fluff balls!
*me* Puts lid on incubator.

Back
Top Bottom