Lemongrass bedding

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
I'm testing out a new bedding that has appeared in our local rural supplies. Pic below.

It's 100% lemongrass straw and mulch. It has a mild lemongrass scent that lingers. I'm using it in nesting boxes and the coop floor. It's a bit early to tell but we are at the end of the wet season. It's been a particularly wet one, even by our sub tropical standards. We haven't has any sign of mites since using it. I'm not saying it prevents them. But we usually have some sort of small mite by this time of the year. Easily treated with permethrin. Time will tell I guess.

The hens really like it. I've put sugar cane mulch which is a very similar consistency in some nesting boxes, and their usual fair. They definitely prefer the lemongrass lined boxes.

No sign of ants as yet either. Ants were previously ever present.

Has anyone used a similar thing, and how did you find it?

It's an Australian product, so maybe it's not a thing in other countries?

We grow a lot of lemongrass on our block. It's a nice shade plant for the hens and border plant. Immensely hardy... and of course used in cooking. I never thought to use it like this. I may have a crack at making some of my own lemongrass mulch with the woodchipper and see how it goes. Just got to figure out how to dry it without it blowing away. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• RP_AniGrass_70L_5000x.png
    RP_AniGrass_70L_5000x.png
    386.4 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom