Length of time in the brooder for coturnix quail

bigjohn

Songster
14 Years
May 24, 2008
Georgia
I have 7 jumbo Texas A&M chicks. The are two weeks old today and almost fully feathered. They are in the house at this point (in a plastic tote) and we keep the temp at 70 degrees or so night and day in our house. I turned off the heating lamp yesterday and made sure that there were no drafts. They all appear healthy and active and eating well. I am needing to move them outside, but the temp is still dropping into the 40's and 50's at night so I will wait to move them. I will most likely put the heat light in the outside cage 'just in case'.

But coturnix seem to be able to stand a shorter brooding time than most chickens or other quail.

I had 30 or 40 a couple of years back and remember that I put them outside much sooner than I had intended and they did great. I have raised 100's of bobwhite quail in the past and they needed a much longer brooding period for sure.

So I am wondering what others are experiencing with their brooding times and weaning from the 'heat'?

Thanks for the response. Amazingly they are doing very good at this point with no extra heat. I guess the small tote and with a towel over the top and their body heat it is sufficient. They show no signs of being uncomfortable and are eating well. If they were in any other type cage I would supplement the heat. I watch them closely for any changes. I would imagine the inside temp stays a good bit warmer than the outside temp.

I am certainly not suggesting this is best practice or should be done but just an observation in this specific batch of birds. I have heard others say they put them outside after about 3 weeks with no supplemental heat and they do well. I could not do that unless it was mid summer!

It is amazing at the rate these birds grow and develop. It is funny to see a bird not fully feathered and yet in about two weeks or so will begin laying eggs. Great birds to raise..

Hope it works out for you.... They do feather faster if brooded cooler than normal. Growth will slow a bit thou. My latest batch of coturnix are six weeks old today. I got four eggs from their pen the last two days.... only six hens in it..... They are amazing little brown birds..... Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom