Less poop in arctic cold???

Hholly

Songster
Jul 3, 2015
Amo, IN
Hey all. I've had my flock locked in the coop the last few days, since the run is snow covered and winds have been 40 mph. It was sub-zero overnight. I went out this morning and notice a lot less poop on the poop trays than normal. I've been giving a bit of scratch morning and evening. They have 4 full feeders that I pick up at night. And they got some warm biscuits and gravy yesterday. Half the flock is staying very active, walking around foraging, laying eggs, etc. But half of them are mainly standing huddled up, not doing much, except when I'm feeding them goodies. Should I be worried? This is my first winter with them. Not sure what is a normal amount of huddling, and the lower amount of poop alarmed me.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

What you described is normal, they alternative between moving and warming themselves by fluffing out the feathers, similar to us humans tucking our hands in our pockets and pulling our chin into the neck of our coats. As far as less poop, is their water freezing up, or perhaps they aren't drinking as much so the poop is smaller, I give mine warm water to encourage drinking. I'm not a fan of cold water on a cold day either.

What you described is normal, they alternative between moving and warming themselves by fluffing out the feathers, similar to us humans tucking our hands in our pockets and pulling our chin into the neck of our coats. As far as less poop, is their water freezing up, or perhaps they aren't drinking as much so the poop is smaller, I give mine warm water to encourage drinking. I'm not a fan of cold water on a cold day either.
Thanks for the response. Their water is staying thawed on a warmer. So, we're good there. Good to know it's normal. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom