Sponsored Post Let There Be Light: Ensuring Egg Laying During the Darkest Days of Winter.

We use clear led rope lights and a timer. They are very flexible and easy to install and don't get hot. The lights turn on around 5:15p.m. when the girls are going into the coop and turn off at 8:00p.m. We have 8 girls , 4 are molting, 3 quit laying, and only 1 was laying ever other day. After two week of extra lighting our egg production increased from one girl laying eggs to three girls laying eggs. Plus we started feeding them plain yogurt to increase their protein and calcium. This helps the girls who are molting and the girls who are laying.

Great post!! We use 4 lights in our coop for winter, 2 heat and 2 clear. Our birds like it about 70.

Great post!! We use 4 lights in our coop for winter, 2 heat and 2 clear. Our birds like it about 70.

70??

Where do you live and what kind of birds?

I sure hope you live in Florida, 'cause if you live north you are spending (unnecessarily) a TON of money on electricity. -9 F yesterday, my girls were fine and popped out 9 eggs (most ever). No heat and no insulation (can't imagine how I could insulate it anyway). I think of it like this:
They have REALLY good down winter coats. How uncomfortable am I in the grocery store when it is 68F and I'm dressed for 32F? I'll tell you - REALLY uncomfortable. I'd probably drop of heat stroke if I were dressed for -10F.

Bruce

My chickens were born last May and I keep a 40 watt bulb 24 hrs a day in their house. I hung it down low so that when they are up on their perchs its nice and dim and its a treble light so it only shines in one direction. I'm getting an average of 8 eggs a day from 11 hens. one day i got 10

Back
Top Bottom