Lethargic hen, Impacted egg? drinking not eating

Aschuchert

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Tempe
Once again our flock is needing some expert advice. Our cream legbar, lowest and youngest in pecking order has basically stopped eating, + 1 day, will drink. And has isolated herself in the farthest roosting box, even after we put worst bullies in isolation coop earlier in the week..
Shes 6mos, still hasnt started laying. This morning we noticed her vent is swollen and some small amount of blood. This was after cleaning her bottom of runny droppings. Advice is welcomed.

Attachments

• 20180422_100300_001.jpg
    20180422_100300_001.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 15244174638141824755229.jpg
    15244174638141824755229.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 13
I kept reading and it appears to be a bound egg, I can feel it right inside her vent but still looking for advice. She's I a warm water bath and enjoying it.

Once again our flock is needing some expert advice. Our cream legbar, lowest and youngest in pecking order has basically stopped eating, + 1 day, will drink. And has isolated herself in the farthest roosting box, even after we put worst bullies in isolation coop earlier in the week..
Shes 6mos, still hasnt started laying. This morning we noticed her vent is swollen and some small amount of blood. This was after cleaning her bottom of runny droppings. Advice is welcomed.

I would give her some extra calcium in a human calcium tablet or Tums, crushed and given to her in cooked some egg or wet feed. Get her drinking some water. Place her in a warm bath to soak for about 20 minutes to relax her. If she does not lay the egg, then place her on a heating pad on a towel and turn power on low.

Sending hubby to store for calcium capsules, we don't have tums or pills.

Already did 15 min warm bath and fed her some oyster shell. She won't eat, gave her cooked egg, greek yogurt mix and wouldn't touch it after 2 tries. Going to try warm bath again. Can feel egg just inside vent but really don't want to investigate, she's sooo small that I worry about going inside.

Thanks for the feedback.

She's in isolation with food, water and soft bedding at within beaks reach.
Watery, sometimes bloody poops, and her vent is rather enlarged. She sometimes squawks when she poops.
Humid isn't possible, it's the driest time of year, but she's fully shaded.
Did get calcium caps, mixed 2 with water and Olive oil(read its also a natural digestive lube) and got about 2/3 of that down her with an eyedropper, trying to pace her. Shes drinking, still no eating.

Some recommend lubricating the vent with oil and trying to maniipulate the egg out. It’s good she is pooping, but the blood is worrisome.

I will try massaging from front to back after soaking her again. Will try some oil lube after that.
She ate a few meal worms and want to try a puree of egg, probiotics, liver, and yogurt to give her some much needed nutrition.

If you have been following, I'm now in process of applying Vaseline to help and Very unlike the directions if I pushed straight in i should feel the egg, I can't go in more than 1/2 inch and this very green poop was from inside and below vent.

Attachments

• 15244434693011348355011.jpg
    15244434693011348355011.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom