Lethargic hen laying on side barely breathing

Drewkim2001

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2017
Florida
Hello all,

I am new to BYC and hope I am posting in the correct forum. I have a 1.5 year old red sex link hen that i found a about 4 days ago lethargic and runny, watery diarrhea. I inspected her vent area there is no signs of redness or infection. She stopped laying about a week prior to that. She also seems to be very under weight. I was not here though due to work obligations. I have her isolated in the garage with a sand bedding and approx. 6 sq ft of space. I did some research on chicken illness and learned about coccidiosis. Recently some hurricane weather blew through and I think she may have gotten into some moldy food. I also found a rat infestation. I have trapped them and the rats are no longer an issue. I figured that possibly the food may have been contaminated either by the rats or by the excess rains. That being said along with her symptoms I provided Corid to her for the last 3 days. I also have given her mealworms and nutri-drench to encourage feeding and drinking. She seemed to perk up with the worms and seemed to be doing better. Tonight I found her laying on her side barely breathing. i presume she will pass tonight. I am curious if I may have missed something or incorrectly treated her. The other birds stools are normal and no signs of illness or injury. If any one has any thoughts I am open to learning them. Thanks ahead of time for your time and responses.
Quick update, she has passed but any thoughts on what happened would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Awwww... poor sweetie. The fact that she stopped laying could be a sign. She could be egg bound or laying internally. I would recommend a warm Epsom salt bath, but hopefully someone more experienced will chime in. I don't know if that is wise if she is that weak. However, if she has an egg or partial egg blocking her vent so she can't defecate and it isn't cleared, she will surely die. Can you very gently probe her vent with a (gloved, lubed) finger and feel if there is an egg stuck there?

It can be hard to pinpoint a cause of illness without getting a necropsy done after death. Most state vets will do one on a refrigerated body for a small charge. Usually most chickens develop resistance to cocci in the soil before laying eggs, although some adults can still get it. You can get some droppings checked by a vet for cocci and worms, or start Corid, but in the meantime, I would try to get her drinking some water with electrolytes in it. Offer some chopped egg plus her feed. Has she started her first big molt yet? I would check inside her vent for a stuck egg by inserting one finger an inch or two. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, hard, or puffy. Look her over for motes and lice.

Back
Top Bottom