lethargic hen not good , shes 2 1/2 yrs old "UPDATE"

onecent

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 8, 2007
halifax co. north carolina
shes a pearl white leghorn, she normally lays xtra lg. eggs she layed this "marble" about 3 wks. ago but now shes acting sick, shes fluffed out, her comb is flopped over her face, but its got a very good red color to it, and she hasnt layed any more eggs, she does eat & drink & roost, but shes definitely not acting right, like staying to her self, & shes moving slow ....any ideas? also , i opened up the marble egg, it had this really ugly light colored yolk looking thing in it, more like a giant meat spot
sickbyc.gif

she is getting worse, her abdomen doesn't seem to have any eggs in it, its kind of squishy feeling, her comb is bright red, but still flopped over her face, she has nothing in her crop, now she does not want to eat or drink, ive made her as comfortable as possible, and she no longer can roost, all my other hens are fine, shes probably an internal layer...
sad.png

Last edited:
try changing name of thread to get attention

small egg occassionally would be ok

lethargic hen title

lethargic hen not good

maybe intrnal layer?

egg bound??

only guessing from what i've read about others here

good luck

There are a number reasons why a hen would act lethargic.

I would isolate overnight where you can keep watch over how much she is eating and drinking and what her droppings look like. Also, I would probably give her electrolytes or PoultryDrench in her water and feed some yogurt w/active cultures.

I hope I'm wrong, but her symptoms sound like internal laying. Often the breeds that are most susceptible are the ones that are high productivity layers.

In some instances, hens ovulate egg yolks that are not collected by the oviduct and hence remain in the body cavity. This is normal for a low percentage of yolks, and the hen simply reabsorbs them. When this “mistake” is an everyday occurrence, the hen is considered an “internal layer.”

what happened with your hen? I just posted a similar thing. She laid a marlbe. But isn't doing well.

Quote:
i saw your post, mine is doing the same thing yours is doing, even looks the same! i dont know whats wrong with her, its really worrying me, i hope they both snap out of it.

Mine is doing same. Lethargic, pale comb, eating a little if I put treats in front of her, but not interested in moving. Her abdomen feels a little squishy, but I can't feel any eggs and it's not tight. Her crop isn't distended and she doesn't have stinky brown coccidiosis poo.

Back
Top Bottom