Lethargic stumbling rooster PLEASE Help!!

It can cause him to stumble because it causes anemia which makes them weak and lethargic.

Home Depot carries construction sand. It's also called all purpose sand. It's what we use in the dust baths.

We use shavings in the coop floors and PDZ horse stall refresh in the poop boards. It keeps down ammonia great and is super easy to scoop.
Thank you for this information.
What can I do for anemia?

If your rooster is already feeling down, bathing him may cause more stress. The poultry dust is a powder. One of the people on this forum @Wyorp Rock suggest putting the powder in a sock and using the sock as a powder puff. Puff his vent and under his wings.
If he has mites, they are probably everywhere. You will need to clean out all bedding from the coup and burn it if possible. Otherwise put in airtight bags and let the sun bake them.

Treat the coop with either spray that has the same insecticide or use a leaf blower to blow the powder around the coop and into the nooks and crannies. Close the coop and let the dust settle. Take precautions to keep from ingesting the powder and getting in on you while you do this.

Mites require extreme measures as they can quickly kill your chickens. Someone else already mentioned getting some beef liver as it will help reverse anemia.

Hope your boy recovers quickly and that you rid your chickens of all signs of these parasites.
Oh thank you for reminding me of the beef liver.

All day today my daughters and I bathed all 8 chickens. Dried them. Sprayed them and let them and got them tucked into crates in then garage for the night since I needed to let the coop air out after I emptied it of everything, all shavings and then sprayed the heck out of it. I just finished about 30 minutes ago. I was only able to get all the shavings out of the coop so they’re sitting in the run. I’ll be doing the run tomorrow and and burning the shavings if it’s not too windy.
My rooster has his own crate and the other 7 are together in another huge crate. We turned on some heat for them so they won’t get too cold. Just in case they’re still a little wet from the spray. It took all day and some didn’t get a lot of sun time to finish drying from that stuff. They’ll be cozy tonight.
I’ll be finishing the coop tomorrow and the run and get them back in the coop the following night. I may do another spray and wash down before I let them back in there. It took so much work that I’d rather delay the re- entry and make sure that I have been thorough.
Any other things I should do?

Oh thank you for reminding me of the beef liver.

All day today my daughters and I bathed all 8 chickens. Dried them. Sprayed them and let them and got them tucked into crates in then garage for the night since I needed to let the coop air out after I emptied it of everything, all shavings and then sprayed the heck out of it. I just finished about 30 minutes ago. I was only able to get all the shavings out of the coop so they’re sitting in the run. I’ll be doing the run tomorrow and and burning the shavings if it’s not too windy.
My rooster has his own crate and the other 7 are together in another huge crate. We turned on some heat for them so they won’t get too cold. Just in case they’re still a little wet from the spray. It took all day and some didn’t get a lot of sun time to finish drying from that stuff. They’ll be cozy tonight.
I’ll be finishing the coop tomorrow and the run and get them back in the coop the following night. I may do another spray and wash down before I let them back in there. It took so much work that I’d rather delay the re- entry and make sure that I have been thorough.
Oh no - I bathed him today. I got mixed up and someone else I knew said to bathe him, but I do remember now that you and maybe someone else said not to. We washed him, soaked him in epsom salt bath and then dried him. He was pretty weak during the bath but surprisingly was pretty peppy when we put him out in a clean crate next to the hens the last few hours of the day. He still didn’t walk much but was standing for a bit- longest time the last 2 days.
I will be finding beef liver tomorrow.
How does this need to be prepared for him?
Should I also give some to the hens?

You are doing great. with the coop and run, just make sure you get every nook and cranny with the spray. If you are using a spray, make sure you use it according to the label, some need to be diluted before use.

As for the liver - you really don't need to prepare it - they will love it raw. You can cook it if you want, but I wouldn't use any seasonings if I were to cook it and I would make sure not to overcook it.

You are doing great. with the coop and run, just make sure you get every nook and cranny with the spray. If you are using a spray, make sure you use it according to the label, some need to be diluted before use.

As for the liver - you really don't need to prepare it - they will love it raw. You can cook it if you want, but I wouldn't use any seasonings if I were to cook it and I would make sure not to overcook it.
Ok- thank you for this information!!
I’m sorry - I do have another question -
How often or and for how long should I feed the liver and how much each time?
Ok- that was more like 3 😬.

Ok- thank you for this information!!
I’m sorry - I do have another question -
How often or and for how long should I feed the liver and how much each time?
Ok- that was more like 3
I am not sure on the quantity of beef liver. I would offer him a tablespoon and see how he reacts. I also do not know how long you should offer it; perhaps until he stops stumbling. @Eggcessive may have more information.

If my rooster was in this type of distress, I would offer him a small portion of the beef liver, provide him with his regular feed - I would probably wet it and make a mash of it because my birds love their feed this way. I would probably also give him a poultry vitamin. I would do this until he was acting normal.

It took so much work that I’d rather delay the re- entry and make sure that I have been thorough.
For mite control put double-sided adhesive tape on the entire length of the underside of the roosts and check morning and night for mites which will get stuck to it on their way to their nightly meal feasting on the chickens' feet .

The beef liver is only a small amount say 1/2 ounce or less daily for the b vitamins, iron, and protein. Chicken feed should make up the majority of the intake. You can prepare some liver, and chop it, then freeze in serving size portions. I would give it for a week or two.

Update and more help needs- I’m sorry. I hope I can get this under control soon and stop bothering all of you 😬

Sunday: my girls and I gave all chickens a wash, soak in Epsom salt bath then dried with hair dryers until dry. I sprayed them as much as I could get on their skin of a poultry mite spray and I cleaned out coop- completely emptied and sprayed with the spray recommended on here- I can’t remember the name. It was late by the time I got that done so they all stayed in crates in our garage because I needed it to dry and air out.
Monday:I left Olive in his crate but we brought him out t be near the hens and out of the dark garage. The hens were given a makeshift nesting box food and water and blocked from getting to the run and coop. I couldn’t do anything else until I was done teaching. Hens layer eggs but only 1 in the nesting box. 😊 Ollie was given mash and water before we left.
He ate only a little all day. Only a small poo all day :(
When we got home we all cleaned out the run and I blew everything out after raking it out. We keep our coop and run really clean. We scoop poo daily except on Sundays or when we are on vacation. I dusted with that dust stuff recommended on here. I also put DE in there. Then put only 1 bag of shavings. I couldn’t put the roosts back in yet bc they weren’t sprayed until yesterday. I put Ollie in a small crate in the coop and all the hens in the coop.
After they were in bed I finished the run.
I sprinkled the dust stuff and the DE all over the run. Then added ash from our fireplace and sand. Very thin as we didn’t have a lot. Then I went to the store and bought liver and top soil. I spread a thin layer of topsoil ( ground in there is really hard) all over the run. I made a separate dust bath area using our fire pit bricks that had cracked and layered a generous amount of ash, sand, DE, mite dust stuff ( I’m sorry I can’t remember what that’s called) and topsoil. I am hoping it will dry out and then I’ll add more - a little at a time so it can dry out. I’ll make that as deep as I can over the next day or two as it dries.
I am losing the roost brackets today before I put the roosts back in. - they’re 18” high but I have 1 Favorolles with what looks like bumblefoot so I think that will help. I’ll deal with that bump after I get this run and coop completed.

I am also adding herbs in their nesting boxes today that I just bought from Amazon.

Here’s the help I need: how can I get Ollie to eat and drink more?
Where can I buy herbs for the coop and nesting boxes- cheaper? Do they need to be dried?
What else do I need to do?

Liver info - thank you for the details. I will make and freeze and give him some each day until he recovers.

Double sided tape idea!!! What a great idea!! I have that on my list to do today.

Thank you all for your help!!

Thank you for helping me get through this!!

You are doing great!

It is important to treat/spray the ceiling and all outside walls and the roof of the coop as well so the mites will not be able to immediately conquer the coop again.

Roosters will often eat better and more when away from their hens, meaning out of sight and earshot as they tend to not eat themselves but to offer the food to their hens instead when near them.

Back
Top Bottom