Let's play the color game! (Pic heavy)

bfrancis

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
First, as you know quail are NOT willing participants in getting their photos taken. My apologies for the less than professional photos.

What I've done is labeled each picture by a number or number and letter if two quail are in the same shot. For responses, place the number and the color that you think that it is.

Example: 1. Pharaoh

These are all are Coturnix, Let's play.
wink.png

(Maybe we can talk Quail Lady and others into talking about color genetics as we go along)
big_smile.png

Also, feel free to post any pics of your birds that you want!

52686_imgp6889.jpg

52686_imgp6892.jpg

52686_imgp6893.jpg

52686_imgp6895.jpg

5A & 5B.
52686_imgp6900.jpg

52686_imgp6901.jpg

52686_imgp6902.jpg

52686_imgp6906.jpg

52686_imgp6907.jpg

52686_imgp6910.jpg

11A & 11B
52686_imgp6914.jpg

11AA & 11BB (Same quail as previous pic, different angle)
52686_imgp6917.jpg

Oooh ooh! (raises hand frantically) Pick me! Pick Me!
droolin.gif

1. Pharaoh
tongue.png

2. Manchurian, yellow gene and homozygous on fawn mutation

3. Roux Dilute

4. Italian, yellow gene and heterozygous on fawn mutation

5. Tuxedos ,A Tibetan (dark range) on left, B Red Range on right. Roux dilution of Tibetan causing the Red PLUS lacing which is excellent indicator of Red Range compared to Scarlet which is Rosetta diluted with roux
big_smile.png

6. Dark Range Tibetan

7. Scarlet!

8. Rosetta due to back striations.

9. Jumbo white/TAM with some color bleeding of the wild-type/pharaoh it seems

10. What a beauty! Jumbo white/TAM LOVE IT!
love.gif

11A. Italian but the face is pretty. I love Italians and White

11B. Manchurian carrying white and possibly roux as well (his face is exquisite!)

The other day we were talking about Tuxedos on a post by Orange Ribbon, so thought it would be neat to show a few colors...but of two tuxes next to each other (#5).

#10 is pure white...but dull because of all his dust baths... #9's Parent stock came from Quail Lady.

We were also talking about Autumn Amber on another thread, one of the main reasons I started this one. I hadn't heard of that name/color before so I thought maybe I had the color...just calling it something else...
hmm.png
(#4 or #11)... but will have to continue to work on that one.

DW is actually the gene player in our family, she makes the breeding/color choices for the best outcomes. The Scarlet (#7) and Rosetta (#8)has been her big projects this past summer...

Ok, so who is next to post pics of there birds and especially colors not represented here?
pop.gif

Quote:
#4 looks young, the color appears a little later for some reason...almost like cbbq! GAAA! But just continue adding some roux into it and you have a line yourself! Same with 11B. Looking good there! Beautiful!

I like the sizes too!!!

1. Jumbo Brown
2. ?
3. Fawn?
4. Italian?
5. A-tuxedo B- Red tuxedo
6. Tibetan
7. ?
8. Tibetan
9. English White or A&M
10. English White or A&M
11. A- Italian B- Italian