Lets talk about goats!

Pics
Okay that makes sense..whats the reason you dont feed grains?

Some goats can do OK without grain, just hay. Dry does who are not pregnant, wethers, and non breeding bucks are fine without any grain. You must be sure they are getting a good goat mineral, and have an adequate protein intake.

Mine get some if they are growing (less than a year old), pregnant, or lactating. They all have a higher energy demands. Lactating also get some alfalfa, either in the form of hay or pellets.

Another way to get away with milking once a day is to leave the kid on the dam. Separate the two at night, allowing her udder to fill up. Milk her out in the morning, then give her to the kid. That keeps her production levels up since there is constant demand to produce milk.

Okay that makes sense..whats the reason you dont feed grains?
Goats are ruminants, and don't exactly handle grain well. A wild goat's diet consists of mainly grass and whatever they can find on trees and bushes.
It's just a personal preference, and we do feed our goats a little bit of sweet-cob after milking so they get rewarded for good behavior, but that is not their main diet.

Some goats can do OK without grain, just hay. Dry does who are not pregnant, wethers, and non breeding bucks are fine without any grain. You must be sure they are getting a good goat mineral, and have an adequate protein intake.

Mine get some if they are growing (less than a year old), pregnant, or lactating. They all have a higher energy demands. Lactating also get some alfalfa, either in the form of hay or pellets.

Another way to get away with milking once a day is to leave the kid on the dam. Separate the two at night, allowing her udder to fill up. Milk her out in the morning, then give her to the kid. That keeps her production levels up since there is constant demand to produce milk.

Okay that makes sense. I could do that while the kids are still nursing but after I wean them I will have to figure something out

Goats are ruminants, and don't exactly handle grain well. A wild goat's diet consists of mainly grass and whatever they can find on trees and bushes.
It's just a personal preference, and we do feed our goats a little bit of sweet-cob after milking so they get rewarded for good behavior, but that is not their main diet.

Goats are actually browsers, not grazers. Which means their diet is mainly trees, shrubs, and weeds if they can get it. They eat grass, but only after they've exhausted what they prefer.

You'd just said the diet consist 'mainly of grass', you worded it in a way that made it sound like they ate mostly grass first, then browse. Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote, so at least there is clarification out there now.

If you arent feeding grain do you still feed alfalfa or just let them get everything from pasture? Also do you think it effects the taste of the milk? One last question, what is cob and where do you buy that? Lol

Back
Top Bottom