Letting the guineas out

I only have five guineas. I bought six but one died.
sad.png
They do EVERYTHING together. Eat drink, run, fly, etc. I can let two out for starters like suggested below. I believe they are about nine weeks old now.I have put corn cobb and apple in the stall and they don't touch it. I can try greens as suggested.They are all identical and I believe they came from the same hen. Sadly I think two are males. They really want to follow me out. They are always happy to see me.
Today one guinea went out. He flew on the roof. I left him awhile and he did not come down. I shooshed him down and he went about 60 feet up a tree!!!! NOW WHAT DO I DO?I fear he is lost forever! He wont come for food or anything. He has been out about an hour plus. I tried to post a photo but the site will not let me add attachments.

I changed the profile photo to a current photo of the guineas so you guys can see if they look about 9 weeks old.

I only have five guineas. I bought six but one died.
sad.png
They do EVERYTHING together. Eat drink, run, fly, etc. I can let two out for starters like suggested below. I believe they are about nine weeks old now.I have put corn cobb and apple in the stall and they don't touch it. I can try greens as suggested.They are all identical and I believe they came from the same hen. Sadly I think two are males. They really want to follow me out. They are always happy to see me.
Today one guinea went out. He flew on the roof. I left him awhile and he did not come down. I shooshed him down and he went about 60 feet up a tree!!!! NOW WHAT DO I DO?I fear he is lost forever! He wont come for food or anything. He has been out about an hour plus. I tried to post a photo but the site will not let me add attachments.
Don't worry.. one hours is no time at all.

He might stay out all night and come back in the morning.

Never try to chase them or force them off stuff... that just makes they spook and go further away.... I learnt that before lol.

Up in the tree he will be looking around and getting used to the view and his new area.. and he will come down when he is hungry or bored.

HELP! I finally opened the barn door, two of the five guineas went out and now it is sundown and no sign of them! They are trained, in the house as chicks etc and in the coop for several weeks. I thought they would come home at feeding time but there is no squawking or anything. I dont see them anywhere! Its dark out now! What do I do. I called and called them to no avail. (I always have the same call) I am worried! Denise

HELP! I finally opened the barn door, two of the five guineas went out and now it is sundown and no sign of them! They are trained, in the house as chicks etc and in the coop for several weeks. I thought they would come home at feeding time but there is no squawking or anything. I dont see them anywhere! Its dark out now! What do I do. I called and called them to no avail. (I always have the same call) I am worried! Denise

You need to keep them in the same coop at least 2-4 months before allowing them to free range, since you still have 3 they may show back up. From my experience , they have a poor since of direction and anything that startling will cause them to lose direction. When i first let mine out I let them out about 2 hours before they would need to be back in for the night and I gradually increased the time to let them out in am and back in pm. I still have to sometimes herd a few back in that get off from the flock and just can't seem to find direction back to the coop. Occasionally I will have one that stays out all night and is waiting by the door of the coop in the am, as I said they do not seem to have the sense of direction that chickens have and they are easily distracted. Hope yours comes back.

It is morning and no sound or sight of the guineas. I got them to manage bugs and snakes so naturally they needed to be let out eventually. But it didn't work. I am sad because I am very fond of my hens. I plan to put a sign up but what good that will do I don't know because someone wont catch them like one might catch a dog.

Did they ever show back up? That's odd for them to not come back, but they are very young still. I only let a few of mine out at a time, for an hour or so max while I can watch them. Mine are either 10 or 11 weeks today. I'm starting to lose track!

Back
Top Bottom