LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

I saved a pigeon today, but I promise it was unintentional.
I saw what I believe to be a sparrow hawk take down a pigeon, just came out of nowhere, poor bird didn't get a chance to get off the ground. Feathers flying, wings beating, whole thing on the ground. Somehow the pigeon was able to take off and the hawk went after it. I waited a couple minutes, and was curious, and wanted to check that the pigeon wasn't left injured further up the hill. I walked up to take a little look, just on the pavement. Stopped to look around and realised too late that they were under the bush next to me, and my instincts kicked in to step in, but I very quickly corrected myself. Nature is nature and the hawk has to eat. So I took a big step back. Before I could walk away or decide if I even wanted to watch, the pigeon begun flapping its wings again and rolled down next to me, hawk still on it. I took another step back but the hawk had realised I was there, looked at me for a moment and quickly took off, leaving a very stunned pigeon behind.

I didn't mean to scare it away, honestly. It was a little sad but I was going to respect nature and let them do what they need to do. I was also partially fascinated, I don't usually get to see birds of prey hunting

I watched the pigeon for a few moments, feathers severely ruffled and a little stunned by no visible injuries or blood in sight that I could see. I felt bad because I didn't want it to be left there hurt or anything. But it took a few moments and then flew off, I watched it go all the way accross the field towards trees, I saw the hawk fly towards it, clearly still after this bird in particular, but it changed its mind and flew off in the other direction.

I feel bad now! I shouldn't have let curiosity get the best of me. But it was all very quick and I didn't have enough time to react to the birds rolling down to me. Hopefully that pigeon wasn't too shaken up or too hurt, and hopefully the hawk found another meal...
I can't deny I'm a little happy for the pigeon, that baby was fighting for his life and not planning on stopping. But it was unintentionally my fault that the hawk went hungry...

I saw what I believe to be a sparrow hawk take down a pigeon, just came out of nowhere, poor bird didn't get a chance to get off the ground. Feathers flying, wings beating, whole thing on the ground. Somehow the pigeon was able to take off and the hawk went after it. I waited a couple minutes, and was curious, and wanted to check that the pigeon wasn't left injured further up the hill. I walked up to take a little look, just on the pavement. Stopped to look around and realised too late that they were under the bush next to me, and my instincts kicked in to step in, but I very quickly corrected myself. Nature is nature and the hawk has to eat. So I took a big step back. Before I could walk away or decide if I even wanted to watch, the pigeon begun flapping its wings again and rolled down next to me, hawk still on it. I took another step back but the hawk had realised I was there, looked at me for a moment and quickly took off, leaving a very stunned pigeon behind.

I didn't mean to scare it away, honestly. It was a little sad but I was going to respect nature and let them do what they need to do. I was also partially fascinated, I don't usually get to see birds of prey hunting

I watched the pigeon for a few moments, feathers severely ruffled and a little stunned by no visible injuries or blood in sight that I could see. I felt bad because I didn't want it to be left there hurt or anything. But it took a few moments and then flew off, I watched it go all the way accross the field towards trees, I saw the hawk fly towards it, clearly still after this bird in particular, but it changed its mind and flew off in the other direction.

I feel bad now! I shouldn't have let curiosity get the best of me. But it was all very quick and I didn't have enough time to react to the birds rolling down to me. Hopefully that pigeon wasn't too shaken up or too hurt, and hopefully the hawk found another meal...
I can't deny I'm a little happy for the pigeon, that baby was fighting for his life and not planning on stopping. But it was unintentionally my fault that the hawk went hungry...
I'm a bit surprised the hawk just left it. I'd expect them to at least try and bluff you away

I'm a bit surprised the hawk just left it. I'd expect them to at least try and bluff you away
I was a bit suprised as well
I think since the pigeon had already escaped once, and was still not giving up (combined with me being too close for comfort) it just decided it wasn't worth the effort. That's what it felt like at least.
I don't think it would've given up so easily had I not been there

Wow, that would have been amazing to see! I agree with the morbid curiosity of going to look. It was just coincidental that they rolled out just then.

That pigeon will never poop on your statue should you get one! :lau

The hawk on the other hand...

Wow, that would have been amazing to see! I agree with the morbid curiosity of going to look.
It's one of those times, the "do I want to watch this" dilemma... Its funny because if I saw this in a documentary, I'd be uncomfortable and not want to watch that bit. But when I see it in real life, its like I can't look away. It was bizarre today, I'm developing such an admiration towards nature, watching a wild animal hunt its natural prey right in front of me, it was a mix of awe and horror.

Back
Top Bottom