LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

It could just be because they're a different breed, or the season. Some chicks that "should" come into lay in the fall never really do until spring because of light levels.
Ditto Dat!

Hey all. I haven't posted in a while. I had a quick question. I am up to 4 eggs right now out of 8 birds who should be laying as they are all older than 24 weeks. Does anyone know why my other 4 are not laying? None of them appear to be egg bound so I am just wondering if there is anything else that could cause it. Thanks!
Are you sure the other 4 aren't laying?
Not all birds lay daily.
Here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Thanks for the info! I will have to check them. I definitely have girls that hunker down when I touch their backs or get near them. They are the ones who I think are laying while the girls who I don't think are laying typically just run away but I will check their butts too.

51297176_477542372776287_3844070479530819584_n.jpg

Hello friends! It's the last day of Banned Book Week today. A lot of folks read things like Fahrenheit 451, Huck Finn, To kill a Mockingbird etc. are on banned book lists. They're not. They're not even in the top 100 banned books.
Here's the ACTUAL list of the top 10 banned books and the reasons people list for them being banned, especially in the USA.
https://bannedbooksweek.org/about/
  1. George by Alex Gino
    Reasons: challenged, banned, restricted, and hidden to avoid controversy; for LGBTQIA+ content and a transgender character; because schools and libraries should not “put books in a child’s hand that require discussion”; for sexual references; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint and “traditional family structure”
  2. Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out by Susan Kuklin
    Reasons: challenged for LGBTQIA+ content, for “its effect on any young people who would read it,” and for concerns that it was sexually explicit and biased
  3. A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss, illustrated by EG Keller
    Reasons: Challenged and vandalized for LGBTQIA+ content and political viewpoints, for concerns that it is “designed to pollute the morals of its readers,” and for not including a content warning
  4. Sex is a Funny Word by Cory Silverberg, illustrated by Fiona Smyth
    Reasons: Challenged, banned, and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content; for discussing gender identity and sex education; and for concerns that the title and illustrations were “inappropriate”
  5. Prince & Knight by Daniel Haack, illustrated by Stevie Lewis
    Reasons: Challenged and restricted for featuring a gay marriage and LGBTQIA+ content; for being “a deliberate attempt to indoctrinate young children” with the potential to cause confusion, curiosity, and gender dysphoria; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint
  6. I Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
    Reasons: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content, for a transgender character, and for confronting a topic that is “sensitive, controversial, and politically charged”
  7. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Reasons: Banned and challenged for profanity and for “vulgarity and sexual overtones”
  8. Drama written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
    Reasons: Challenged for LGBTQIA+ content and for concerns that it goes against “family values/morals”
  9. Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
    Reasons: Banned and forbidden from discussion for referring to magic and witchcraft, for containing actual curses and spells, and for characters that use “nefarious means” to attain goals
  10. And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson illustrated by Henry Cole
    Reason: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content

Notice a theme? I see a lot of people complain about how since we can get married LGBTQ+ have equal rights and opportunity, but like for many others that's not REALLY the case. Just a reminder that we have some work to do before there's real equality in the world.

So lets go out and think about reading some banned books, and getting both teens and adults who normally wouldn't reading banned books!
(Well, except for maybe HP. That's got plenty of problems for different reasons.)

Back
Top Bottom