LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Have any of you read Mercedes Lacky's Mage Wars and Heralds of Valdemar series?

She has gay people in there left and right but it's never a big deal, it's just who they are and then on to the actually interesting things. In my opinion that is the way it should be done.

Heck, there is a 3 book series about Vanyel and his lover who are one of the "great loves of the era" kind of thing.

I have read some mercedes lacky but not that one. And that IS how it should be done.

The worst way to do it, though, is to write a character that's coded as pretty ordinary and then say that off-screen they have some identity that's never actually presented to us in the media. I hate it.

Tamora Peirce did a great job with her character Daja who doesn't even realize she's into girls until she grows up and passes through puberty and realizes that she couldn't care less about boys, but this QT noblewoman gets her heart racing and it's just a great coming of age story because you find out about it along with her like 3-4 books in because the story starts when she's like 10-11.

I have read some mercedes lacky but not that one. And that IS how it should be done.

The worst way to do it, though, is to write a character that's coded as pretty ordinary and then say that off-screen they have some identity that's never actually presented to us in the media. I hate it.

Tamora Peirce did a great job with her character Daja who doesn't even realize she's into girls until she grows up and passes through puberty and realizes that she couldn't care less about boys, but this QT noblewoman gets her heart racing and it's just a great coming of age story because you find out about it along with her like 3-4 books in because the story starts when she's like 10-11.
That does sound like a good one.

Mercedes even has a kind of asexual character. I say kind of because she is "swordsworn" meaning she has given herself entirely to the goddess in order to take vengeance for the murder of her whole tribe. When they go swordsworn the goddess makes them somewhat androgynous and takes all sexual things from their lives, thoughts, feelings, etc. So, she isn't Ace the same way a person who was born that way is, but the end result is very similar though she was straight and sexually active before becoming swordsworn. She is Tarma from the Vows and Honor trilogy.

@Kusanar I have Closer To The Heart by Mercedes Lackey. It's a good book, and I also think that that's the way it should be done. Because when *straight/cis* authors push the idea of the main/character being LGBTQ+ (and only talk about them being gay), it just feels wrong to me.

Ok, folks, got a question. I am interested in getting a kilt and there is a company that makes pride kilts with the colors in the pleats so they kind of flash as you move. Would that be an OK thing for me to get as an ally or would it be weird?

The kilt in question if you wanna check it out, they have other more specific pride kilts as well (lesbian, Bi, ace, are a few I can remember off the top of my head)
www.verillas.com/versatta-gothic-kilt-velvet-pride-edition/

Ok, folks, got a question. I am interested in getting a kilt and there is a company that makes pride kilts with the colors in the pleats so they kind of flash as you move. Would that be an OK thing for me to get as an ally or would it be weird?

The kilt in question if you wanna check it out, they have other more specific pride kilts as well (lesbian, Bi, ace, are a few I can remember off the top of my head)
www.verillas.com/versatta-gothic-kilt-velvet-pride-edition/

That sounds like a great idea! To me at least. My mom (who is married to my step dad) is/was a HUGE lgbtq+ supporter when I was growing up (she started the first annual wine country pride event) and really helped me come out! I don’t think it would be weird, but that’s just my opinion.

That sounds like a great idea! To me at least. My mom (who is married to my step dad) is/was a HUGE lgbtq+ supporter when I was growing up (she started the first annual wine country pride event) and really helped me come out! I don’t think it would be weird, but that’s just my opinion.
I also want to support that company because they recently found out that the Proud Boys were wearing their products in some photos, they added up the retail cost of the items in the picture and came up with $750 so they donated $1,000 to naacp to make a point that they were not tied to them in any way and publicly denounced them. They seem like good folks.

Back
Top Bottom