LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

I have seen too many species brought to the brink of extinction because of cross-breeding. Especially if the offspring are fertile. The resulting babies often don't know how to behave and some do have health issues.

It may not be as bad with the infertile ones (like the mule and jenny), but look up the Parrot Cichlid. That poor fish can't even close it's mouth!

Macaws have messed up gene pools due to breeding the Blue and Gold to the Scarlet. Same situation with some species of lovebirds, breeding Peachface to Masked.

This is not to be confused with domestic dog and cat breeds, as they are the same species, just in different 'flavours', so to speak.
I agree, this has happened with Aylesbury mixes, in ducks
I think there's one, two, flocks of purebred Aylesbury left in the UK now? But hundreds claimed to be "Aylesbury, cherry Valley mixes"

That's a little saddening. In some species very unethical due to health and wellbeing. But as long as people are responsible and protect those breeds, that doesn't have to happen in every case- at least with musocvies, mules are infertile. So you'd *have* to have pure muscovies in order to keep a flock of mules.

I have seen too many species brought to the brink of extinction because of cross-breeding. Especially if the offspring are fertile. The resulting babies often don't know how to behave and some do have health issues.

It may not be as bad with the infertile ones (like the mule and jenny), but look up the Parrot Cichlid. That poor fish can't even close it's mouth!

Macaws have messed up gene pools due to breeding the Blue and Gold to the Scarlet. Same situation with some species of lovebirds, breeding Peachface to Masked.

This is not to be confused with domestic dog and cat breeds, as they are the same species, just in different 'flavours', so to speak.
Okay, so infertile mules are better than fertile in your opinion. Probably nit a fan if big cat hybrids either, huh?

Okay, so infertile mules are better than fertile in your opinion. Probably nit a fan if big cat hybrids either, huh?
Not if it messes up their minds and health, and I really don't think that two animals that would never breed in the wild should be forced to in captivity.

It's also a bit different with domestic animals like the horse/donkey mix. Mules are damn useful. But wild animals that are kept in zoos? Nope. There is no reason to do this, apart from pure hubris.

It's a very thin line.

Not if it messes up their minds and health, and I really don't think that two animals that would never breed in the wild should be forced to in captivity.

It's also a bit different with domestic animals like the horse/donkey mix. Mules are damn useful. But wild animals that are kept in zoos? Nope. There is no reason to do this, apart from pure hubris.

It's a very thin line.
Okay, I think I get it now. Just curious, sorry if it sounded judgey

Don't think I can identify all the breeds exactly except for siamese as one of my favorites. I love all black cats and grey cats.
What about ragdolls? They have the colorpoint gene too. These are some of my favorite pictures I’ve found online.
1680560040604.jpeg

1680560057385.jpeg

1680560073680.jpeg

1680560091113.jpeg
1680560107537.jpeg

I don’t think there are any f1 bengals any more? an issue with breeding wild cats to domestic that I have heard of is be of the size difference the wild cats can hurt or even end up killing the domestic cat. I definitely think f1 hybrids are unethical, not sure about bengals since I don’t really see anyone breeding F1

I don’t think there are any f1 bengals any more? an issue with breeding wild cats to domestic that I have heard of is be of the size difference the wild cats can hurt or even end up killing the domestic cat. I definitely think f1 hybrids are unethical, not sure about bengals since I don’t really see anyone breeding F1
I feel proud of myself for knowing what F1 means

Back
Top Bottom