Liege fighter vs Indio Gigante.

Had to look up Indio Gigante to find out what they were. Looks like they are what the feather peddlers are calling Brazillian Shamos these days. Don't know about Liege, they look like my Thai/barnyard crosses. Brazilian Shamo hens don't get along with others they were not raised with or have been separated from. It would depend on what got crossed up on the Brazilian to make them lay enough eggs for peddling under the fancy name as to how they act.
So it sounds like they would be housed best like Aseels? Seperately or in monitored pairs ?

They look graded with barnyard fowl, show a lot of comb and wattle to be any more than half oriental game, and their stance is a little suspect. So I would suspect that they would be able to be run with several hens, one adult male, and have the young males taken away as they reach six months to a year in age, as would be the case with any of several oriental games crossed with heritage chicken. Doubtful that anyone would mess with pure oriental games to try to market them commercially. If I put my asil chicks in a box and shipped them the recipients would get a box of spare parts. My pure Thais are a little cooler with hens free ranging together, as long as they have plenty of space. Saw a thai hen leave in a foxes mouth. Next day she was back, and never saw the fox again. Pretty sure when he sat her down to eat her she whipped him and made him bring her back. They can get twenty feet up to roost with no problems, stags running eight to nine gangly pounds and hens about six. I have birds that can stand on the ground and eat grain out of a five gallon bucket with four gallons of grain in it, if they tiptoe a little. And they can get pretty high in a tree.

It looks like they used a lot of malay as well. I have never had any, but from what I have read they seem relatively peaceful. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to breed a giant bird for meat if it needed special confinement. I remember seeing a video on the creation of these birds a long while ago when that was one of the major goals, which may not be the case anymore.

I do know that if I was entertaining the idea of breeding these birds, I would plan on hen hatching them. The thais that I have bred always did much better under a hen. Something about a very long legged chick, an automatic turner can't do anywhere near as good of a job as a hen, and you will get lots of crooked legs and toes if you use an incubator.

I do know that if I was entertaining the idea of breeding these birds, I would plan on hen hatching them. The thais that I have bred always did much better under a hen. Something about a very long legged chick, an automatic turner can't do anywhere near as good of a job as a hen, and you will get lots of crooked legs and toes if you use an incubator.
Ive never really had any issues other than hatch rate while in the incubator, but I also haven't hatched a lot of taller birds in an incubator. Though like you, I prefer a batch raised by a good hen. Even beyond the whole oil excretion thing that isn't replicated in an incubator, they tend to raise birds a whole lot better than I can in a brooder box.

Had to look up Indio Gigante to find out what they were. Looks like they are what the feather peddlers are calling Brazillian Shamos these days. Don't know about Liege, they look like my Thai/barnyard crosses. Brazilian Shamo hens don't get along with others they were not raised with or have been separated from. It would depend on what got crossed up on the Brazilian to make them lay enough eggs for peddling under the fancy name as to how they act.
From what I've read they're malay crossed w/ O shamo.I have Brazilian shamo and they aren't like the Indio.

Attachments

• 20201219_155642crele.jpg
    20201219_155642crele.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210214_134608lukebike.jpg
    20210214_134608lukebike.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 35
I have two female liege fighters and no roos so I just ordered two Indios hoping one will be a male. I'm hoping a cross will be pretty nice.

We got really close to purchasing the Indio Gigante, but we backed out. I am scared they can't fly, and that would be a death sentence on my spot. I don't want to spend that kind of money on an experiment of which I believe failure is imminent.
What I am saying in short is I need you to purchase some and let me know how it goes..
I have not seen mine fly, but they have no problem leaping 4+ ft to look down at me from the top of a 120 gallon trash can! 😜 And BOY can they run! Don’t underestimate the power of those long legs! lol
HOWEVER, they are not a bird that I would free range. Way too docile! Great if you’re looking for a cuddle bug, though! Mine are by far the biggest birds I have, but they’re the biggest wimps! 🤣
7CAA8E4E-B3EA-4F70-8F4C-010660135901.jpeg

I have three of these and can say with 100% they are the nicest chicken I have. They want to be held all the time and prefer eating out of hands. I haven't seen them fight anything yet. I have two girl LFs that are a year old now and they are more likely to fight than the boy IGs. I would say the IGs are larger but the LFs bulk out more and are more top heavy. A cross of the two might yield some nice results.

Back
Top Bottom