Light for Quail Brooder & Predation(rambling)

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
I've been using a 100 watt bulb for my quail brooder. They have enough room to move away from it if it gets too warm. It's a regular 100 watt bulb so all white light.

I've lost 6 of my 12 bobwhites. They were fine when I went to work(or bed) I walk in later and find them dead. I did notice that 4 of the 6 had injuries to the knee/legs. Thinking they were getting cut on the metal chick feeder, I took it out of the brooder.

I noticed last night that one of them kept picking at the knees/legs of the others. Could this be what is happening to my quail?

I thought I would change the bulb out to something of a different color. Didn't have one so I spray painted on, that just kicked up a bunch of fumes from the paint when the bulb got hot. TSC sold my hubby a 250watt red bulb today That will cook those little babies in the brooder!!

2 Questions

1. they are 3 weeks old. Would it be ok to turn the light out on them or should I wait a while longer? Temps in the house are about 65. I put a towel on top at night to help keep it a bit warmer.

2. if I still need a light, would a 50-25 watt colored bulb help stop the picking at each other?

I'm about to the point to take the last 6 back to the guy I got them from so they have a better chance to make it than what I am doing for them.
Help
hit.gif

Put a red light on them, and bit them if necessary. You can get smaller red lights at your local pet store that sells lizards, and snakes. If you are looking to keep these as pets, or for fun, try chuckars, they are much easier to deal with.

I found that game birds are very light sensitive. Many people use colored lights so they will sleep... they seem to not rest properly with white light.
I go one step better and it has almost completely ended my losses all together, I use the ceramic reptile bulbs that you can pick up at the pet store. They are spendy but usually have a warranty for five years and work really well. With regular daylight for light, they cheep all day and are always active. At night, once it has been completely dark for a while, is the only time I hear them settle down and go quiet for any period of time which lets them get a healthy amount of sleep.

I don't know anything about the reptile light but I was wondering about one of those "hot rocks" they had/have for reptiles. I'll run by Pets'mart this weekend and see what I can find.

My plan is to move them out into the rabbit hutch at 6 weeks when it warms up a bit more.

DONT USE A HOT ROCK...those are specifically ment for reptiles. I use Red heat lights and have never had a problem. The ceramic ones would also work...but I have never used them. Bobwhite especially should never be brooded under a white light as they seem to be pretty cannabalistic chicks,
Good Luck with them!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom