Listless chick, not eating.

neothix

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Hey! So I have a (roughly) 1-month-old chickens who hasn't been well. She's very snotty (like has a lot of snot/saliva in her beak), she has a lack of interest in food, she hasn't been eating (whoever she would try to eat the food would fall out) and she's very tired and listless. And now she is losing weight and she doesn't appear to be growing. Her neck is also weirdly curved compared to my other chick (who is doing just fine).

I thought she had coccidiosis (which she still could have) but I've been giving her medicine for the past, probably, 6 days now and she hasn't gotten much better. I've also been keeping the heater on, so its not like she's cold. Any thoughts? I'll provide pictures of her.

Attachments

• 20210328_141047.jpg
    20210328_141047.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm having a problem with a chick too. Loss of balance, low appetite, and trembling.
I've checked her carefully for parasites and checked her mouth for cankers. I carefully checked limbs for any pain or misalignment.
I discontinued medicated feed ( this was my first time to use medicated feed) and corid yesterday because I read that they can deplete thiamine.
I crushed a vitamin B supplement and mixed a 1/4 of this in with water and fed it to her. She seems a little better this morning. I'm going to TSC to get some Poultry Cell this morning.
I'm still holding out hope for her.
Good luck with your chick! I hope someone with more knowledge will come along to help you!

I'm having a problem with a chick too. Loss of balance, low appetite, and trembling.
I've checked her carefully for parasites and checked her mouth for cankers. I carefully checked limbs for any pain or misalignment.
I discontinued medicated feed ( this was my first time to use medicated feed) and corid yesterday because I read that they can deplete thiamine.
I crushed a vitamin B supplement and mixed a 1/4 of this in with water and fed it to her. She seems a little better this morning. I'm going to TSC to get some Poultry Cell this morning.
I'm still holding out hope for her.
Good luck with your chick! I hope someone with more knowledge will come along to help you!
I gave her some flat berocca a while ago (as it was the only source of vitamin B I have at the moment) and she's quite a lot better now! Her appetite is back, but she still has difficulty actually swallowing and keeping the food in her mouth. She's also moving more and squeaking more! I'll probably continue giving her berocca for a few more days, so then she can recover quickly.
I hope everything goes well with your chick! Let's hope its not anything worse than just a lack of vitamin b.

I wouldn't use the berroca long term, it's high in salt and a listed side effect for humans is stomach upset. As an emergency treatment with nothing else on hand, I understand. It would be good to just get a B complex tablet or capsule (human ones) and grind and mix 1/4 into some moistened feed every day. That is safe with no risk of overdose. With a lot of mucous/discharge I would wonder if their is something respiratory going on, or a crop problem also. The curved neck could be a form of wry neck, and you would supplement vitamin E for that (1 -400iu capsule daily) with a bit of cooked egg for selenium (helps with the uptake of the E).

Back
Top Bottom