Yeah, that’s probably what they are but they oddly don’t seem to be inside the coop, only outside so :confused:

But I will definitely spray them!!

Is it safe to put the powdered permethrin inside the coop???

I think I will do a full coop clean out and spray everything tomorrow. Maybe also throw out/move a bunch of stuff and see if that helps.
As far as I know, mites are not out in the day time

Do they jump or stink when squished?

They do jump. Quite far. Although today they were quite sluggish and I could squish a few. I think because of the cold. Yesterday was below freezing the whole day but today got to 50.

They don’t stink when squished and don’t appear to be full of blood.

I get them too I live in southern New England.
Did it just rain? I see them all over everything right after it rains especially in cooler weather. I only started noticing them after I got birds. I've never ever seen one on a bird and I treat mine for mites and lice with chemicals so even if they were parasitic they'd have to be feeding off something else which seems unlikely.

Bird mites are very small:

upload_2020-1-10_14-53-53.png

I get them too I live in southern New England.
Did it just rain? I see them all over everything right after it rains especially in cooler weather. I only started noticing them after I got birds. I've never ever seen one on a bird and I treat mine for mites and lice with chemicals so even if they were parasitic they'd have to be feeding off something else which seems unlikely.

Not in a few days but it did snow/rain a bit the other day. It’s definitely been pretty wet recently. So they are harmless then? They don’t seem to be bothering the birds which is weird to me. I just hate having bugs and rodents and anything like that around :lau

Grosses me out and I try to keep it clean out there so in my mind the bugs mean it isn’t but maybe that’s not so.

Back
Top Bottom