Little Cockerel Questions (pictures)

wildpeas

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Port Orchard, Wa
I have a little slw cockerel and 5 slw chicks. The cockerel is quite a bit smaller than the girls, is a bit of a whiner, and has runny poo. It looks like a puddle of rust. Otherwise he is very active, eats and drinks all the time, and does everything the girls do. Is it normal for him to be so small? Is the poo something to worry about? They are eating medicated starter (Purina), get fresh water twice a day, have a warm brooder that is cleaned twice a day, and get mealworms, oats, chick scratch, and chick grit for a treat once a day. They are almost two weeks old.

I have a little slw cockerel and 5 slw chicks. The cockerel is quite a bit smaller than the girls, is a bit of a whiner, and has runny poo. It looks like a puddle of rust. Otherwise he is very active, eats and drinks all the time, and does everything the girls do. Is it normal for him to be so small? Is the poo something to worry about? They are eating medicated starter (Purina), get fresh water twice a day, have a warm brooder that is cleaned twice a day, and get mealworms, oats, chick scratch, and chick grit for a treat once a day. They are almost two weeks old.

They are really cute, first of all. Here is my shot-in-the-dark opinion. I had my own watery poo scare earlier and was told by some very wise people about cecal poop. Any chance that this is what it is? He does have that sort of hunched look of a sick chick, but size at such a young age doesn't really say much. I can't be 100% sure, but I think he should be OK, just given some time. Your management practices are great, btw.

How old are they? If they are young I say to much treats and scratch. I don't start giving mine treats or scratch until they get adult feathers. And the chick starter should have scratch in it, it says on the ingredients if it. I would take away all other food and just feed them chick starter

They are really cute, first of all. Here is my shot-in-the-dark opinion. I had my own watery poo scare earlier and was told by some very wise people about cecal poop. Any chance that this is what it is? He does have that sort of hunched look of a sick chick, but size at such a young age doesn't really say much. I can't be 100% sure, but I think he should be OK, just given some time. Your management practices are great, btw.

Cecal poop is what it is, thank you!

As to his hunched look, he is so round I think he was born without a neck.
lol.png
His activity level is on par with the girls, he is just runty compared to them and runs out of steam a little quicker. hopefully he will catch up in growth.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and advice.

Back
Top Bottom