Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Likewise if the Brahma is a cockerel, it already has a home to go to and it would be equally funny to send it with the name Princess šŸ¤£

I am hoping for pullets though! These are eggs from a breeders show bird line šŸ„°
That would be hilarious!!!

Hopefully theyā€™ll be pullets though!!

Here are two BA eggs, the light one is from my original BAs, the darker one from BAs the next year from another farm store. The darker egg is from Juravenator, she likes to go broody and she's a spicy little thing, she is in with Chonkers.

The light egg is from a hen in with Fizzy, by chicken myth, this will be a cockerel šŸ¤£

20240125_182414.jpg

I know, I know... I said I wouldn't do any more risky hatches, but here I am, doing it again. What's life unless you take some risks? We are D-4 days until setting eggs, so consider this the tailgating / pregame hype up to the main event!
I will begin listing what eggs I know I will be setting and will finish out the list Friday when I pick up the local hatching eggs and fill in any remaining incubator spaces with eggs from my flock.

Name theme request: hopeful / courageous, / strong / fun / uplifting, about half of these eggs will be shipped or pullet eggs from my flock. Yes, I know hatching pullet eggs isn't ideal, it was not my plan, but life has thrown some forks in my dream road, and here we are attempting to hatch pullet eggs, laid during the coldest weather of the year, trying to keep pieces of my flock and dreams alive. The other half will be some AMAZING purebred eggs from a wonderful local breeder along with some test hatch eggs that will be a satin chocolate paint silkie Chonkers x layer hens (trying to pinpoint why he is a chocolate paint but has black spots and not chocolate) and our EE rooster Fizz Bang x our oldest Black australorp hens who are still great and consistent layers.

Edited! I have decided to group the 12 eggs laid by my pullets last week in the brutal cold together, we will give them a group name and please cheer for the group. Any that develop will be moved from group status to individual where they can be specially named and given direct cheers!

Disregard: Hatch-a-long friends, I have 2 ideas, please let me know the preferred route! As there a quite a few eggs with a high risk of not developing, I can either pair them with a less risky egg, so you name the pair, if one doesn't start or quits you still have one to cheer, if both start... we'll cross that bridge when we get there! The second idea is to hold back the eggs I think are the most risky, if they are developing at 7 days I'll add them to the list for naming. Let me know!

@TwoCrows @Debbie292d @ElfenLied89 @BigBlueHen53 @GreenJay @QueenofKings @Antiocheggers @CoopBoots @GirlsHuntToo @LTAY1946 @fluffycrow @Tookie @tlcmurphy @Chive @21hens-incharge @Obsessed With Silkies @NagemTX @Shabby Chic-Hens

Please tag others as I'm sure I'm missing many amazing hatch-a-long cheerers who are not risk adverse!
Thanks for the tag! :wee :highfive:
As I'm trying to learn more about genetics for the silkies, I'm listing the color and genotype, if I am wrong PLEASE let me know!

Purebred silkies:
Mixed pen of colors, Chocolate pullet, a partridge, and a splash with no splashes; cockerels are various blue, black, diluted partridge, silkie, satin, and frizzle (it was not supposed to be like this, but here we are...)
1 dozen where laid in very cold weather, we will find a group name for them and please everyone cheer for these eggies! If they start developing I will add them individually to the list below to be named and specially cheered šŸ„°

Chocolate pullet (choc-)
1 Duchess @Obsessed With Silkies

Partridge or "splash" eggs
1 Apex @CoopBoots
2 Layla @Debbie292d

Blue / splash Blbl / blbl (shipped)
1 Larry @Debbie292d

Black BlBl (shipped)
1 Valentina @Galaxy_rules

Paint E/E, Ml/Ml, I/i+ (shipped)

Chocolate choc choc, choc- for females (shipped)
1 Grace @TwoCrows

Large Fowl:
Light Brahma (shipped)
1 @Antiocheggers
2 Princess @TheDawg

Swedish Flower Hen (pick up)
1 Lacey @Obsessed With Silkies
2 Hope @GirlsHuntToo

Ermine Ameraucana (pick up)
1 Zen @TwoCrows
2 Xena/Zeus @GreenJay

Chonkers Test
1 Godzilla Kong @ElfenLied89

EExBA
1 Charlotte/ Charlie @GreenJay
2 Steve. @TheDawg

Bantam:
Golden Necked D'uccle (pick up)
1 Elpida @fluffycrow
2 Cherry @Nero70002

Lavender Ameraucana (pick up)
1 Zenith @CoopBoots
2 Blueberry @Nero70002

"Random Bantams"

Update: this will be all the eggs unless there is room and I can sneak a few more from Fizz Bang or Chonkers in there šŸ„° once I check for development the first weekend of February I'll add any of the eggs laid during our cold snap to the list.
May I root for a Lavender Ameraucana, and name it Wisteria?

I'm so jealous of you all who are hatching! I only have 4 hens that are laying, and the rest are pullets that just started laying or will lay soon. Otherwise I would be popping eggs in my incubator one batch after the other like I did at our old place. :barnie
Oh well, I'll just have to wait until Spring.
In the meantime.....I'll just be enjoying participating in everybody's hatch-a-longs and rooting for their eggs to hatch! :D

I'm so jealous of you all who are hatching! I only have 4 hens that are laying, and the rest are pullets that just started laying or will lay soon. Otherwise I would be popping eggs in my incubator one batch after the other like I did at our old place. :barnie
In the meantime.....I'll just be enjoying participating in everybody's hatch-a-longs and rooting for their eggs to hatch! :D
Ooh, Wisteria, that's perfect!

It's so hard to not pop eggies into the incubator. I mean, it's just sitting there, all cold and sad looking, it is so much happier with eggs all cozy and rocking back and forth in it. For the sake of the incubator, it "needs" eggies in it!

But, lieu of a cozy incubator, hatch-a-longs are great!

Wisteria is an awesome name! I planted one of those on the south side of the coop. It doesn't grow very fast but in a few years hopefully, it will cover that side with huge purple flowers and provide shade to the coop.

I think I'm going to have more eggs than incubator space to start with, I fired up the NR360 this morning, they're hiding in the basement, do you think hubby will notice??? :woot

20240126_064439.jpg

I'm expecting that once I check next weekend and remove any clears they will all fit in the Brinsea. And here I naively thought I'd never fill a 56 egg incubator šŸ¤£ I was seriously thinking something in the 28 to 36 egg range would be plenty.
:lau

Back
Top Bottom