Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics
I do prefer candling over cup growth watching. Guess who candled a few eggs this morning!?! :wee

I kept it to 5 eggs, I'm proud of myself. I always wash my hands before opening the incubator, so I'm keeping the little Odoban dipped eggies germ free.

So the two circled in bright green are growing!!! The 10 brown dot was too dark (I was pretty sure I couldn't see through the shell, but I had to try...) and the 2 brown/blue dot was also too dark to see. The oblong blue banty egg I could see into, but no development I could detect.

3 days before I officially candle the eggies! Lol, who am I kidding...

View attachment 3737511
Go eggies GO!! :woot All you eggies, Tink needs you to hop to it!!

GIF by Paul Robertson

Same. I love the idea of being able to view the development in real time, but the plastic cups still freak me out?

Yeah, to a degree I get you. For me it's also a matter of reducing the chances of a successful hatch, simply for viewing pleasure. Eggs are genius, as they enabled animals that needed to lay in water, to populate dry areas, by forming this exterior, which keeps the liquid inside, and doesn't dry out. I can't believe that a jar with a saran wrap on top is quite the same

Day 4!

Excerpt from this amazing BYC article!

Day 4

Hours 72 to 96

You can really see the embryo now. A little photo editing to see the details easier.

The amniotic cavity has developed, which will surround the embryo and protect it, while also allowing it to move. The tongue has started to develop. Blood vessels continue to thicken and lengthen, and the allantoic vesicle appears, which is critical in respiration, waste storage, and calcium resorption. The brain divides into four parts and the eyes are starting to form.

My chickens herd the dog, but that’s just because he ticks them off ☹️
I have one that does this. Piper is a mauve silkie roo that goes after my border collie and tries to flog her. She walks away and he'll come after her. She does nothing but move out of his way. This has been going on for weeks. Maybe he's just jealous that she's near his hens?

I was going to post this same issue, but now "Piper" is penned up in the breeding pen and will be for a month or so.

josie and marsha.jpg

I have one that does this. Piper is a mauve silkie roo that goes after my border collie and tries to flog her. She walks away and he'll come after her. She does nothing but move out of his way. This has been going on for weeks. Maybe he's just jealous that she's near his hens?

I was going to post this same issue, but now "Piper" is penned up in the breeding pen and will be for a month or so.

View attachment 3737694
Naughty Piper, but your dog is so pretty 🥰

One of my cockerels has decided that he needs to fight the waterer as I pick it up, and as I set it down. His hormones are going CRAZY!

Maybe after being penned up for a but Piper will forget what he'd been doing to the dog? Maybe not likely...

Back
Top Bottom