Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics
I really love the color on this Silkie 😍 The little one next to him/her is also quite pretty!

I'd offer to name one of the yet to be named eggs, but I have about 20 or so birds of my own hatched last year that I'm still struggling to figure out names for 😵‍💫

Guess it's a good thing I didn't bust out the incubator yesterday after all. I have an injured pullet in my brooder now so no room for babies. :th
Star is the blue silkie, I'm REALLY hoping it's a pullet but it has really upright posture and a total mohawk of a crest coming in. Either way I'm looking forward to doing some dark vs light blue test hatches 😁 Grinch is from an EE egg by a white TSC silkie cockerel. The EE was Maple, the one you said looked just like your Entymion (I probably just butchered her name :oops: ) so if you ever wondered what crossing your beautiful girl with a white silkie would produce, here it is! Grinch I'm quite sure is a cockerel with that broad 3 bumps wide comb and it's already getting a little pink.

We could name a chick Zip or Zippy for you 😃

Oh no! You have an injured pullet!?! Babies are small though, they fit in tight spaces... they do grow fast 🤣

I really love the color on this Silkie 😍 The little one next to him/her is also quite pretty!

I'd offer to name one of the yet to be named eggs, but I have about 20 or so birds of my own hatched last year that I'm still struggling to figure out names for 😵‍💫

Guess it's a good thing I didn't bust out the incubator yesterday after all. I have an injured pullet in my brooder now so no room for babies. :th

Oh no! Hopefully it's not something serious:hugs!

Star is the blue silkie, I'm REALLY hoping it's a pullet but it has really upright posture and a total mohawk of a crest coming in. Either way I'm looking forward to doing some dark vs light blue test hatches 😁 Grinch is from an EE egg by a white TSC silkie cockerel. The EE was Maple, the one you said looked just like your Entymion (I probably just butchered her name :oops: ) so if you ever wondered what crossing your beautiful girl with a white silkie would produce, here it is! Grinch I'm quite sure is a cockerel with that broad 3 bumps wide comb and it's already getting a little pink.

You were really close! Endymion. 🙂 She's named after a character from a book I loved when I was younger, who I believe in turn was named after a Greek mythological figure. She is actually in a flock with a White Silkie rooster, but he's a mixed color from a Paint rooster crossed to a Porcelain hen who just happened to be pure white (I suspect that he's got both dominant and recessive white, but don't know that for sure), so who knows what would happen with their babies!

Definitely excited to see how Star's babies look regardless of his or her sex. :pop

We could name a chick Zip or Zippy for you 😃

Aw, only if you're sure. It seems like a lot of people enjoy picking out their names so I don't want to take that chance away from anyone else. 🙂

Oh no! You have an injured pullet!?! Babies are small though, they fit in tight spaces... they do grow fast 🤣

Heehee, they do... She was broody raised so might even adopt them given the opportunity... But more than likely nothing will hatch from my flock until closer to April anyway, so we're resisting the incubator urge still. 🤭

Oh no! Hopefully it's not something serious:hugs!

She looks pretty bad, but is in good spirits, so I think she'll be okay with some TLC. :hugs Fortunately chickens are quite resilient to such injuries. I posted more about it on my flock thread here if you're curious, pictures are in spoilers so you don't have to actually see her injuries if you don't want to: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pipds-peeps.984955/page-349#post-27471720

I've updated Post #4, but here is the summary of all the named eggs.

I had several questionable eggs, I think they may be quitters, but I've left them in just in case.
G - good, alive!
? - possible quitters, unsure
ND - no development

Duchess - ? - @Obsessed With Silkies
Apex - G - @CoopBoots
Layla - ? - @Debbie292d
Larry - ? @Debbie292d
Valentina - G - @Galaxy_rules
Grace - G - @TwoCrows
Mocha - ND - @Sc_chickengirl
HVIT - ND - @Antiocheggers
Princess - ND - @TheDawg
Elpida - ND - @fluffycrow
Cherry - ND - @Nero70002
Pizza - ND - @lkb1230
Zenith - G - @CoopBoots
Blueberry - G - @Nero70002
Wisteria - G - @Chive
Pippa / Pippy - ND @Oob Child
Zen - ND - @TwoCrows
Xena / Zeus- ND - @GreenJay
Andy - ND - @BantyChooks
River - ND - @BantyChooks
Godzilla King - G - @ElfenLied89
Mothra - G - @QueenofKings
Green Bean - too dark to see - @lkb1230
Charlotte / Charlie - G - @GreenJay
Steve - G - @TheDawg
Lacey - G - @Obsessed With Silkies
Go Valentina!

I had never heard of Endymion, had to search him up. His stories are rather interesting.

Truth be told, I don't know much about the mythology behind the name. The book character was a young dragon who bonded with a princess, Isodel. I'd gotten a Blue Ameraucana in the same batch as Endymion and named her Isodel, but she's long since passed away. But good ol' Dym-Dym 'Dymothy' Endymion lives on. 🤭

@pipdzipdnreadytogo Zip the Zippy Chick is officially yours, from Chonkers flock, the chocolate paint who isn't chocolate.. its a perfect chick for you with the genetics mystery!

Exciting!! :pop

Not again !
Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Back
Top Bottom