Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

I'm going to give it another hour and check again. I think it's getting dry, it's hard to tell šŸ˜¬
It's so hard when others are pipping because I'm afraid I'll make more problems.

Is hubby there? Perhaps the humidity is high right now? Or raise it by 10, then he opens the end up, you reach in fast and grab that one and he puts the lid down fast. Repeat when you have to set it back in there.

I'm going to give it another hour and check again. I think it's getting dry, it's hard to tell šŸ˜¬

Brownish membrane = dry
Papery and white membrane, maybe yellowish tinged around the beak = normal

Waiting another hour should not hurt either way, though :fl

Or raise it by 10, then he opens the end up, you reach in fast and grab that one and he puts the lid down fast. Repeat when you have to set it back in there.

This is more or less how I do it. I don't actually use a hygrometer in my incubator ( :oops: ), but I'll fold up a paper towel and soak it in warm water, then pop it in the incubator to boost humidity. Then just open the incubator a crack, far enough to get my hand in and grab the egg, and close it fast afterward.

My hygrometer is not working but hit or miss and I don't trust it. I have two new ones coming hopefully by Tuesday. They have a sensor that drops into the hole in top of the Hovabator and show temp and humidity. I am a worrier if I don't know what is going on. Bad as a mama hen with chicks. I keep the humidity up around 75-80% during lockdown so if I'm quick taking an egg or chick out it doesn't drop below 60%. With wife's help seldom drops below 65%. For me lockdown is an hour by hour thing when I know I'm not endangering chicks with shrink wrap.

I know these aren't great photos, but @pipdzipdnreadytogo @Debbie292d (and any other chocolate geneticists!) I have a couple silver colored, and yellowy chicks from my chocolate pullet šŸ¤” what might these actually be?

The cockerels were a blue, a blue that was hatched with chipmunk stripes (now it looks like a blue with leakage), and a black split to chocolate. How can I have these light chicks?

20240217_173831.jpg
20240217_181928.jpg
20240217_181955.jpg

I'll have better photos tomorrow, I was planning on selling these chicks unless I saw something I needed to keep, and a mystery color sure sounds like a need to keep šŸ¤£

I know these aren't great photos, but @pipdzipdnreadytogo @Debbie292d (and any other chocolate geneticists!) I have a couple silver colored, and yellowy chicks from my chocolate pullet šŸ¤” what might these actually be?

The cockerels were a blue, a blue that was hatched with chipmunk stripes (now it looks like a blue with leakage), and a black split to chocolate. How can I have these light chicks?

View attachment 3750696
View attachment 3750697
View attachment 3750698

I'll have better photos tomorrow, I was planning on selling these chicks unless I saw something I needed to keep, and a mystery color sure sounds like a need to keep šŸ¤£
I am by far a geneticist lol. I just go by the color combo list.

If they are silver, they could turn gray/blue, but I'd tend to think anything light you have may turn splash. I don't see how you get light chicks from a blue roo and a chocolate hen as those should be Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels, and black to chocolate is all black with the cockerels split to chocolate.

I'm not getting how you got such light chicks out of those combos so your roosters are hiding something from you, or one jumped over the fence. šŸ¤£

Back
Top Bottom