Lockdown and humidity

amorosini

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2016
My hovabator gets low water/humidity daily. It is very dry in my house since we are still in the clutches of winter and running the wood stove. I'm going into lockdown in a few days. How do I keep the humidity up without popping in to add water? Thanks!

Adding a wet sponge helps a lot. It's not the amount of water it's the surface area that creates the humidity. I also use a fish airline attached to the end of a needless syringe that is inserted into my vent hole in my lid to add water, that way I don't have to lift the lid.

Adding a wet sponge helps a lot. It's not the amount of water it's the surface area that creates the humidity. I also use a fish airline attached to the end of a needless syringe that is inserted into my vent hole in my lid to add water, that way I don't have to lift the lid.
Just purchased one of the China incubators and did the same, Not hearing good reviews on this particular model so hoping for the best.

Just purchased one of the China incubators and did the same, Not hearing good reviews on this particular model so hoping for the best.
For years, I used the real cheap styrofoam bators and had many good hatches so don't loose hope . Just try and keep your room temp as stable as possible and increase the room humidity if you're still on furnace heat. I put a humidifier in the room which I think helps.

Did a homemade job with a tropical fish foam shipping container and think it turned out pretty good temp and humid both/ Made a plywood top with hole for heat lamp and glass window to view and vent, added a fan and couple remote thermo/hydro units. Its the Chinese one I just purchased that seems unstable as well it has poor reviews so fingers crossed as I paid pretty good for the eggs going into it.

Chicken chat, The sponge idea is great. I was thinking about the line /syringe idea but with iv tubing (nurse here) but I don't have any. Fish airline is brilliant! Thank you!

Used the sponge in my homemade one. Took a bean can filled it with water with sponge sticking out about half way. Wasn't sure if it would be a problem in a tray if I got lucky hearing it doesn't take much to drown chicks. this way the can is stable and out of reach of the chicks, again if I get lucky

Decided to try silkies and Araucanas. Way back I raised Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Bantams and a couple mean Muscovys

Back
Top Bottom