Lockdown! How high is too high on the humidity???

Quote:
its science, the higher the temp the more water the air can hold. its why you hear about humidity more in the summer than the winter

Okay, I understand that. But I still don't see why I would want to decrease my temps if I'm deliberately aiming for high humidity.

Is it for when you have unwanted high humidity that you're having trouble decreasing, and you'd drop the temp a bit so that the air would hold less water, and then you would lower your humidity that way?

I don't know, my temp is at 100, humidity at 50% all the time because, I do continuous hatch, I've got eggs hatching at all time so changing humidity doesn't work for me, plus I had a little boo boo a week ago. I left a batch/tray of 12 eggs on the top of the 'bator they were at day 18, the room at 50 degrees, for 12 hours,I put the eggs back in to hatch (why not), 11 out of the 12 hatched a bit late but hatched, here they are

19130_100_1782.jpg

Haha! They're so much tougher than we realise aren't they. I love that one on the right with it's wings flapping. Funny looking chick!
So do you incubate and hatch continuously all in the one big bator?

I heard that too high humidity can cause chicks to hatch before their yolk is fully absorbed. True? Makes the membrane super thin and too easy to break through so they don't stay in long enough.

Quote:
I'm not sure. My last staggered hatch I was running my 'lockdowns' at 80%+, sometimes going as high as 90%. Of the 12 chicks that hatched out in three separate batches, average pip to zip time was about 10 hours, every single one was a clean hatch with a fully absorbed yolk, and every chick was robustly healthy. So just from my experience, I'd say that very high lockdown humidities work great for me with no downsides...

m using a stillair incubator (no fan) im on lockdown on day 20 do i need to put fan in for fresh air? my temp has stayed around 99to 100 and my humidity has stayed around 50% to 60% is that okay?
hide.gif

Just remember that when they begin pipping, the humidity will naturally rise from what is escaping the now open egg. If it's too high, the window will fog and you won't be able to see! Can't have that, now can we?
wink.png

Quote:

Why is it better to lower the temp if you have a really high humidity? I run my lockdowns at 75%+ but I don't lower the temp. I never heard anything about lowering it before. Just wondering what is the purpose/benefit of it?

And yes, I'm with you and Daddy'sGurl. If humidity has been correct days 1-18 and the eggs have lost enough moisture going into lockdown, then high humidity during lockdown isn't going to do any harm that I can think of. I've had mine as high as 90% before and chicks still hatch fine and fluff ujp quickly...
Omg you are a life saver. My humidity level is 80% and I was so scared that the chicks were going to die or drowned because of it! This is my first time hatching and all....
Lucky I have this site so I can see if I’m doing things correctly around here lol.

I dry incubate {stays between 20-30%} until lockdown, then keep above 70% til hatch. I do not adjust the temp... Haven't had any issues. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom