Lone Poult

Serenity06

Songster
8 Years
Aug 20, 2015
southern Alabama
I have one poult that I need to get some company for. He is currently 6 weeks old. I was wondering what age should I try for? Is 3 weeks too young, 8 weeks too old, etc? I'm wanting to get two because he is a BBW and may not live as long as other breeds so the remaining two will still have a turkey friend if that does happen.
1000012679.jpg

Anything in the age range you mentioned should be alright.
Is it normal for poults just separated from their mother and put into a new environment to be very still and quiet? I purchased two 3 week olds today and they were quiet on the way home and given to me on a smooth surface that they couldn't stand on. Now that they're home and on shavings they're still not trying to stand or peep? If I pick them up they move their legs and wings and peep a little but after putting them down they just lay where I put them down and fall asleep. Is this just stress? Do they just need some time to adjust? Their weight and droppings appear to be normal and healthy.

Is it normal for poults just separated from their mother and put into a new environment to be very still and quiet? I purchased two 3 week olds today and they were quiet on the way home and given to me on a smooth surface that they couldn't stand on. Now that they're home and on shavings they're still not trying to stand or peep? If I pick them up they move their legs and wings and peep a little but after putting them down they just lay where I put them down and fall asleep. Is this just stress? Do they just need some time to adjust? Their weight and droppings appear to be normal and healthy.
If the new ones aren't used to being around people they may be terrified. It also matters what temperature they were acclimated to.

If you have them on wood shavings, make sure they have appropriate sized grit available.

Try to observe them from a distance if possible to see how they act when they think you aren't around.

If the new ones aren't used to being around people they may be terrified. It also matters what temperature they were acclimated to.

If you have them on wood shavings, make sure they have appropriate sized grit available.

Try to observe them from a distance if possible to see how they act when they think you aren't around.
If they were with their mother for 3 weeks does that mean they would be acclimated to the daytime temperatures here? Since I'm assuming by 3 weeks they would be walking around with her during the day. It's been in the low 70s to low 80s the past couple weeks here.

They haven't moved an inch since I last set them down over 3 hours ago. I left the room multiple times, once for over an hour. They are still just laying in the same spots in the same position. At what point should I try to get them to eat and drink and how would I go about that if the need arises?

If they were with their mother for 3 weeks does that mean they would be acclimated to the daytime temperatures here? Since I'm assuming by 3 weeks they would be walking around with her during the day. It's been in the low 70s to low 80s the past couple weeks here.

They haven't moved an inch since I last set them down over 3 hours ago. I left the room multiple times, once for over an hour. They are still just laying in the same spots in the same position. At what point should I try to get them to eat and drink and how would I go about that if the need arises?
At 3 weeks old they need at least 75⁰F measured at the bedding level. They are not acclimated to lower temperatures because they could get under the mother anytime they felt the need. They are definitely not acclimated to your nighttime temps.

Until you know they are eating you may want to put them on different bedding. They are accustomed to eating off of the ground. Wood chips are not a good place to be sprinkling their food on. The bedding needs to be something that they can spot the feed on.

I use sand for bedding and sprinkle their feed on it. It is their instinct to peck at things on the ground.

Dip their beaks in the water if you have not already done so.

At 3 weeks old they need at least 75⁰F measured at the bedding level. They are not acclimated to lower temperatures because they could get under the mother anytime they felt the need. They are definitely not acclimated to your nighttime temps.

Until you know they are eating you may want to put them on different bedding. They are accustomed to eating off of the ground. Wood chips are not a good place to be sprinkling their food on. The bedding needs to be something that they can spot the feed on.

I use sand for bedding and sprinkle their feed on it. It is their instinct to peck at things on the ground.

Dip their beaks in the water if you have not already done so.
Yes our nighttime temps have been in the 60s, I wasn't planning to put them outside at night with no heat source. The person I got them from said she fed them out of feeders not off of the ground so I'd think they would be more familiar with that but I don't currently have a feeder in with them I just have their food on the floor in a section with the bedding pushed to the side. I will attach a pic of the setup so you can see what I mean and I have now dipped their beaks in the water thank you! When I looked just a few minutes ago the narragansett was actually looking around interestedly instead of lying completely still so maybe it's beginning to feel a bit safer?

Attachments

• PXL_20240430_020830977.jpg
    PXL_20240430_020830977.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 5
If they were eating out of feeders, that is the way to go.

Good luck.
Just wanted to update and say they're doing better now. I tried several things I saw on here to try to get them to eat or drink and nothing worked until this morning when I put in some chicks I currently have. They were both walking, eating, and drinking within a few minutes. I'm going to separate them from the chicks again and just place their cages next to each other to see if they'll continue to do well that way.

Back
Top Bottom