Look at my baby, then tell me about yours!

tviss711

Chirping
Apr 12, 2024
IMG_4708.jpeg

I just wanted to show off this super sweet SS pullet. This is only my second batch of chicks (1 batch of 4, they’re 2 years and this spring another batch of 4). Our first are mostly friendly, but not super affectionate (I didn’t expect them to be). But this little girl is SO sweet, she always lets me and my husband scoop her up, smooch her head, and put her down. Her siblings squawk a bit when handled as usual but not her. This afternoon I opened up their run to check on them as they are newly outdoors, and she just ran right up my arm and stuck around on my shoulder. She hung out with me for a bit, and then realized she missed her siblings I suppose and started chirping so I put her back. She is just so cute.

Wondering if anyone else has stories or photos of their exceptionally friendly/affectionate birds? I love all my birds, but it is special to have one that seems to enjoy my company as well!

Super cute! I know Speckled Sussex are notorious for their affectionate nature. We had a Black Australorp that loved cuddles, even as a chick. That carried on into adulthood (after a brief "don't touch me" adolescence"). I'm convinced their personalities are set at hatch.

My Speckled Sussex isn't exactly affectionate, but she's very attentive to me.

I refer to her as my "most unhelpful helper." Unlike your baby (so cute!!), Bronwyn doesn't perch on my shoulder. But she does want to be involved in everything I try to do outside.

She is especially "helpful" when I'm trying to scoop out coops; unfortunately, she un-piles all the piles of waste as I'm trying to remove them. She follows me from coop to coop, talking quietly the whole time. I think she's more opportunistic -- hoping I'll unbury something yummy -- than affectionate. But I adore her anyway!

Great photo of you and your girl!

Back
Top Bottom