Looking for ~4-8 week old Indio Gigante or Saipan chicks in NC, specifically mid NC!

RhymeOrReason

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Now that my babies are heading out to the coop, I’ve been struck with chicken math and have been thinking a ton about the breeds I originally wanted to add to the flock but couldn’t at the time. Indio Gigante and Saipan are such gorgeous birds, and now that I have a giant coop and run that can fit both them and the already present goobers, I’d love to integrate them! I know the specifics of their care, and they‘d be spoiled pets.

I’ve heard that Indio gigante are pretty gentle giants, and Saipan seem to be on the less territorial side of the game-chicken spectrum, so those two breeds are definitely the ones I’m prioritizing atm.

By mid-nc I mean areas like Raleigh, Greensboro, and other nearby areas!

Ooh!! I’ve never heard of a cross like that before! Do you have pictures of him? Not sure if I can take in a roo since I don’t know if my current chicks are roosters, gotta make sure I have somewhere he can stay just in case, even if he’s sweet, the other hypothetical roos pick on him.

Here are some pictures of him! His mom's an easter egger, so her color genetics are all over the place, but his dad's a wheaten roo.
saipan roo 1.jpg

saipan roo 2.jpg

saipan roo 3.png

OH HE’S GORGEOUS!! What’s his temperament like? And how do the other chicks around him treat him?
He's pretty sweet, and of the four chicks we hatched this summer, he seems to be the most dominant, including over his half-brother. I think if he got integrated into a flock with other birds around his age, he'd do amazing! His dad is the best rooster I've ever had, super sweet with his ladies and incredibly attentive (we keep the broody hen and her babies in a slightly separate enclosure until they're around 6 weeks, and every night when we went to put them up, he would leave the coop to make sure they were closed up nice and safe), and his mom has always held her own in the pecking order, as well as being friendly. His dad also co-existed with our other rooster incredibly well, and didn't start fights after an initial scuffle to establish a pecking order, so I think this little guy could also do pretty well in a multi-rooster flock.
And, just from observing his little mini four-bird flock, he seems to have inherited his dad's tendency to be watchful and attentive of them.

Back
Top Bottom