Looking for a consistant egg layer, what kind of chicken do I want?

Maryallison

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
big_smile.png
So right now I am not getting too many eggs from my flock....(they went broody)
roll.png
So I was thinking of getting another hen to hold me over until my 48 three week olds are laying. What kind of chicken do I want? Color of eggs dosen't really matter, I just would love a chicken that would lay every day...............and please don't let her go broody too!
lol.png
Right now my 4 hens consist of 2 buffs (broody), 1 silky (broody) and 1 polish.

And if anybody wants to give or sell me a attractive hen in my local area I'd love it!!!!!!!!!
tongue.png

Sex links! Sex links! Sex links! I have 18 sex links....And I get 18 eggs a day. All my others that were laying went broody..Brahmas, Silkies. Sex links do not go broody..They lay and lay well!
Great chickens! Allow my kids to hold them...carry them around...etc...

Last edited:
You got the wrong kind.
wink.png
Broody is their middle name. You want a leghorn or RIR. They mostly have the broody bred out of them. Leghorns tend to be flighty though. You could also try one of the sex linked pullets. They are bred for production.

We have 2 one-year old red sex-links. Neither of them have taken even one day off since we got them in early May.

Last edited:
I would agree sex links are the way to go if you want eggs everyday, they are great with the kids and are quite to

Australorps are also consistent layers. Supposedly they sometimes go broody but mine did not.

There are not many consistently broody breeds. Henderson's breed chart has a section for how likely the chicken is to go broody, and how many eggs a week the breed tends to lay.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I have heard some on here say this chart is not all that accurate. I tend to feel it is probably as accurate as it can be, considering that chickens are individuals, and there are always exceptions.

And this site lists a few dependably broody breeds to avoid:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Sex links are amazing layers and mine were all so friendly and personable.
I just fell in love with them.

But after 4 years I was down to one, the other four died of reproductive troubles. Which is not uncommon for the really good layers.

If you're looking for consistant layers that will live a little longer, try a heritage breed like Barred rocks or Rhode Island Reds. If you can get them from a breeder rather than a hatchery, even better.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom