Looking for good incubator, but not expensive...

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
I might be biting off more than I can chew here, but I don't know any other way than to try. I would like to order some hatching eggs, but I don't have an incubator and I have never tried this before. I have seen them for sale from super cheap (the Mini Dome kind I remember as a kid that would handle about 4 chicken eggs to the super fancy commercial versions that can handle more than I would ever need (or want) that cost a fortune.

One that I was looking at is the Full View Window Incubator With Electronic Thermostat. I believe that I would want it equipped with the Combination Turner. It seems to run about $206.00.

I would prefer to spend less, but I have to be honest and say that i don't know what things are "bells and whistles" I don't need and which are actually very useful.

From what I can surmise, I need an insulated box, a heat source with a thermostat, a fan, a humidity supply and an egg turner. I have seen where people build their own, but I don't know if I am comfortable building something that holds the lives of these "to be" chicks in the balance. Maybe I am being overly cautious or believe that it is more complicated than it really is. I just know that I would like to get some eggs to hatch out and also when my chickens get to be laying, I want to have the option of raising chicks of my own.

I would appreciate your help and advise on an incubator to buy or if in fact, it is simple to make one that is reliable and will give me the features I want...one of them being egg turning...I do know that I will not want to be having to turn the eggs by hand every day. I know me and that wouldn't happen on a regular basis which would defeat the whole purpose because it would damage or kill the chicks inside the eggs (I assume).

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have filled my coop several times using just the simple hovabators that sell for about $40.00. I do have the turner and fan, that unit was $100.00 for everything. Don't forget you will need the best thermometer and hydrometer you can find.

Robin is right but no matter what you spend make sure you calibrate the thermometer - the LG I got runs 40.00 for the incubator 40.00 for turner and 40.00 for fan

Thank you for the information. After checking around (and totally contradicting my pocketbook), I decided to buy the R-Com 20. It seems to have all of the features that I could want and more and considering that, the price is not bad. I should be getting it in a couple of days. Then I can order my eggs.

Thanks again,

Several of the Ez BYC people have tried the Rcom 20 and have had problems with them. I believe Brinsea has upgraded them. Please make a new post and ask specificially about that incubator. I use the Brower Top Hatch and I really like it. It has draw backs but you get the turner, electronic thermostat, and fan for around $ 120.00 Check out Cutler Supply. They have the best price I have found. I hate to see you get the Rcom for the money it costs and then add eggs and have problems.

You can't go wrong with a "Little Giant" incubator! Cost about $40 plus another $30 if you want the turner to go inside it. It holds heat and moisture sooooo well! It's easy to add water to , easy to see inside it,,,and works better I have found than some of the more expensive ones. Good luck!
Julie

Back
Top Bottom