Looking for Hatchery with No/Low Minimum

gotweim

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
Romeo, MI
I am looking for a reputable hatchery with either a very low or no minimum. Does anyone know of any?

I'm looking to get a 3-4 chicks to eventually introduce to my group of girls. We have lost a few of our original flock so I don't have too much room to add to. I found www.chickensforbackyards.com. They only have a 3 chick minimum but I really wanted a silkie or two and they don't carry them.

I'm looking to add barred rocks, americanas, and silkies.

Thanks!

Quote:
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!
smile.png

Quote:
I just ordered from them and I had to order at least 6 chicks

hmmm....I looked at their site and it does say you can order as few as 3 at a time...I'll try to place the order and see what they say

It says on their site that orders that are less than 15 are shipped overnight to ensure they stay warm......it does make me nervous since temps here last night dropped down to 4 and tonight will be down to 3. Although the silkies aren't available until the 22nd so maybe it will "warm up" by then......

Quote:
I just ordered from them and I had to order at least 6 chicks

hmmm....I looked at their site and it does say you can order as few as 3 at a time...I'll try to place the order and see what they say

I think if you scroll down their page theres a link you click on to determine the minimum number of chicks you can purchase. You enter your zip code and it tells you the numbers for the minimum standard, minimum assorted and minimum bantam. I picked MPC because of them saying 3 is the minimum number you can purchase but was a little disappointed too. Ive also asked around about other hatcheries and there is a thread about Ideal hatchery and I hear their shipping costs are lower then MPC. I don't know if thats an issue with you but I paid more in shipping for my chicks then I actually paid for my chicks. Just a thought

MPC has a minimum order of 3. They keep them warm with a little heat pack and by shipping overnight so they are not in transit as long. However if you are from a part of the country that got snow or ice from this week's storm, you would want to wait until its a little warmer anyway. It doesn't hurt to talk to them now, because depending on what breeds you want to order, they may not be able to fulfill the order for a few weeks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom