Looking for ideas for chicken entertainment during freezing temps!

🤣🤣🤣 OMG this is gold. Maybe I will save my money. Do you move it every week? I’ve heard moving it helps? What about the wings out styles?
Not my owl, just an internet pic.
IMO, this is the only way to protect chickens from hawks.
full

I collect random foil pans, plastic takeout containers, and the like from our meals and use those to collect the scraps that I give the chickens.

Of course they dump them eventually, but it serves to contain things for a while.

What vegetable scraps they don't eat becomes one with the bedding and I don't give them more meat than they're likely to eat.

However, I think that the chickens themselves are sufficient lure to predators that having meat scraps isn't likely to cause a problem unless you give them so much that it either spoils or develops maggots.
I do the same thing with my plastic containers! You’re right about the chickens themselves being lures, but the thought of opossums and weasels in my run at night grosses me out 🤮

Not my owl, just an internet pic.
IMO, this is the only way to protect chickens from hawks.
full
I agree. I can normally mitigate the risk with my awesome dog, but with them here everyday she may miss an attack or the hawks may be emboldened enough to attack when her back is turned.

I recently took a plastic container that strawberries came in, threw in a large handful of their regular pellet food, shut the container and watched them kick it around like a soccer ball for a solid hour trying to work out all the pellets. I liked that it 1) takes literally less than a minute to locate and refill 2) it's not treats, it's their normal food but they think they are getting something fun 3) didn't cost any money and can easily be replaced when they eventually destroy it

I recently took a plastic container that strawberries came in, threw in a large handful of their regular pellet food, shut the container and watched them kick it around like a soccer ball for a solid hour trying to work out all the pellets. I liked that it 1) takes literally less than a minute to locate and refill 2) it's not treats, it's their normal food but they think they are getting something fun 3) didn't cost any money and can easily be replaced when they eventually destroy it
That's a great idea! I use mash feed, but I think I have some chick crumbles around somewhere. Thanks!

Hopefully by now the red tail hawks have left your area! How are your chickens doing in their coop? I would try hanging a shatterproof mirror or making a special little dust bath area in their coop with an old tire? You can add some sand to it. My chickens love that! Here's an article about several different Boredom Busters for Backyard Chickens
Thanks for checking in! I haven't seen them sitting on the picnic table recently, but they still fly overhead. So, still some in the area, but I think our residents have moved out. We have had more bald eagles than usual, but they have never gone after a chicken that I have seen. And when I see them I usually put the dog inside because I don't want her attacking one and ending up on the news. :oops: If a bald eagle actually gets a chicken, then that's one I'll just chock up to making a donation to the DNR.

Back
Top Bottom