Looking for pics of Barred Rock Roo

Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
Anyone have a picture of a Barred Rock Roo at 5-6 wks? My group are totally throwing me for a loop sexing.. 2 are darker, although one of the darker ones has a bigger comb than the other. 2 are lighter, but one has really dark legs, and no comb at ALL. HUH? The only one who had a well defined head spot as a chick was the dark one with the bigger comb.
hu.gif

ARG! I'm frustrated because I know other people can tell weeks before now! :thun

Thanks guys!

-Meghan

Hello. To my knowledge the color of the feathers on this breed does not signify a sex. I have two barred rock hens and one is darker than the other. I would go on, for this breed,
size of comb and color of it
and the thickness of their legs. males tend to have slightly thicker legs than the females.

Last edited:
I have 6 Barred Rock pullets, 7 weeks old. I ordered all females. I'm certain that's what I got. All 6 girls have different colored and sized combs. I think that if you do have a roo he would have a very much larger comb than the others. All my girls have the same size legs. Roos at about 4-5 weeks have very thick, longer legs.

That's the best I can tell you. I'm sure someone out there can show you a picture.

This boy is five weeks old:
DCP_7107.jpg

Here is another one with a Barred Rock pullet at six weeks:
DCP_6030.jpg

Here is one at seven weeks old, too:
DCP_6160.jpg
I, too, have had my confusing ones of this breed, though. Look at the leg color, too. Most cockerels have very little dark on the front of their yellow legs, but pullets have a dark wash of black down the front usually. I had a hen colored light just like a cockerel and she was fooling people up till 12 weeks old! She passed her "sex confusion gene" to her first baby and at six weeks old, I still don't know for sure what the sex is of that one!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I confess to being blind as a bat.. can't seem to make up my mind whether anyone in the groups' legs are thicker or not. For some reason I stupidly thought all of the girls would mature at the same rate.. LOL! I'm a mom, too. You'd have thought I'd know better!

Wow, Cyn, that pic of your BR roo cynched it for me. No one in my group has a comb that size. actually, your pullet in the 6wk group puts my girls to shame! Ah, well, even though I ordered all pullets I was kinda hoping I'd get a roo. I'll still keep my one lighter colored chick (was also slow feathering, and has a 'stance' sometimes that makes his/her neck ridiculously long) on my suspicious list, but I guess I can relax on the others.

LOL, I lurk occasionally on the other byc, and I confess to reading all about Lexie! She is a beauty. Good luck with her baby!

-Meghan

LOL, OMG, Lexie is so famous, I didn't even have to say her name! She is the goofiest girl alive, that one. My Buff Orp hatched out two of Lexie's eggs and we got a cockerel and pullet out of that one, but the first one we hatched by itself is just like its mom, totally androgenous. Has horrible barring, but wide bars and is light in color. Has a comb larger than the BR pullets that are a week older from my friend's stock, but not as large as the known cockerels. Has NOT crowed, is brave as they come and can back down all the chicks in the coop, even those much larger. Wants to sit on my arm all the time-it's just a repeat of Lexie, so I'm thinking it's a pullet. I hope so since no other chick I have has the personality of this one. The little cockerel, its younger brother, who is five weeks old now, has nice barring, so I'm thinking the older baby MUST be a girl. Good luck with your bunch, figuring out who's who. At least you don't have the Lexie-factor working against you.

Back
Top Bottom